Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brief freeze, clicking sound

719 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  faantastik 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my computer. Regardless of the application I'm using, its location, or the stress on my system, I'm encountering very infrequent (think once every 2-3hrs) instances of this problem. My display freezes and doesn't accept any input for roughly 5 seconds, then I hear an audible click and things pick back up where they left off.

If I'm watching a movie, the picture rushes to catch up. If I'm playing a game online, it usually thinks that I've disconnected and makes me close/open the client again. This is to say that the problem SEEMS to impact everything that's running.

It's worth noting that I have one two newer SSD drives (C and W) and one older HDD drive (F). Windows is installed on and boots from the SSD (C). I've run Windows' error-checking multiple times on all three drives, but it never returns any errors.

My specs are below:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190823210810.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
**Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (198 GB Free); F: 595 GB (114 GB Free); W: 931 GB (511 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-A, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 170809359604060
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

See less See more
#5 ·
Unless I'm missing something, several of my attributes are worse than the threshold in place. For example, "read error rate" is at 106, which is well above the threshold of 6. "Uncorrectable Sector Count" is 100, with a threshold of 0, and "Reported Uncorrectable Errors" is at 100, with a threshold of 0.

I'm not sure what other drives look like, but how is still considered a "Good" health status if I'm exceeding the threshold on multiple criteria.

Attachments

#10 ·
Values larger than 'Threshold' can be a good thing, SMART is not easy to understand, this may help :-
https://www.z-a-recovery.com/manual/smart.aspx
That really helps to clarify some of the metrics and it actually looks like my HDD is in fine shape, based on these descriptions. Thanks!

With this in mind, does anyone have further thoughts on what could be driving (ha) the problem?

#11 ·
To anyone experiencing the same issue, I just found what I believe to be the fix.

We were correct that the HDD was to blame, but incorrect that it was getting old/bad. I tried replacing it with a new HDD, but the issue persisted.

The real problem is that a power setting was allowing the computer to put my HDD to sleep. Since I was booting Windows from the SSD, this happened regularly. Whenever the system would try to access something on the HDD, it would freeze the system while it spun back up.

I simply disabled the auto-sleep setting on the HDD and the problem seems to have been solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.