1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brief internet loss

Discussion in 'Networking' started by clipzy, Nov 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

I have been having an issue for some time with no solution. My pc is on a wired connection, the ONLY wired connection in the house. Also the only thing in the house that has this hiccup. Every 45min to an hour I'm assuming the connection disconnects for about a second. I assume its the internet connection because all pages open will say connection lost and instantly reload. But when playing games such as COD when this hiccup happens it boots me off the server onto the desktop which is getting to be an annoyance since it happens every 5 games or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You gave no indication of
    a) what OS you are running (are the other devices running the same OS?)
    b) what hardware the computer is hardwired to: brand and model of router or gateway
    c) ISP you are using
    d) browser you are using (have you tried a different browser?)

3. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

A) Windows 10 and a laptop is also on a wireless connection that doesn't have the issue.
    B) Wired from computer to a TP-LINK TL-R470T+ Router then to a Comtrend GS-7308 Switch and then I believe our main google router/hub
    C)Cameron Communications that is a local service
    D)Doesn't seem to be with a browser as all apps reload
    Hope this helps sorry didn't know what to put

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Divide and conquer! Maybe. Eliminate the switch and test. If still the same issue eliminate the Contrend router and test.

5. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

Eliminate the switch and test. If still the same issue eliminate the Contrend router and test.

I was wrong it ended up being from the router to the switch but when going straight to the switch it switches to unidentified network and only one ip showed up as 169 so no connection??

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand your LAN. The point is to simplify to try to isolate the problem to one device. Or two at the worst.

7. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

I don't understand your LAN. The point is to simplify to try to isolate the problem to one device. Or two at the worst.
    Yes okay originally the ethernet from my pc went to the LAN port on the router. From the router a plug went into the switch. When going straight to the switch the above comment happened of unidentified network.

8. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello Clipzy,

Terry is asking for you to bypass the switch and use only one router to test the stability of your connection (one of the routers should allow you to connect to the internet independently). OR IF you can bypass both the routers and the switch (plug directly into the wall - but your provider may not support this action) and obtain an internet connection to test, it will help with understanding where the problem may lie.

Some additional ideas... Try looking at your router(s) DHCP lease time setting, or determine if you need a firmware update(s) for the device(s). ;)
    Instructions should be available in your device owner's manual, or downloadable from the manufacturer.

Good Luck

9. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

Some additional ideas... Try looking at your router(s) DHCP lease time setting, or determine if you need a firmware update(s) for the device(s). ;)

I understand now, bypassing the router which was actually linked second instead of the switch when I talked to the isp. I'm thinking I have to call the isp for them to allow me to connect directly into their switch.

But I checked the lease time is at 120 minutes and then I updated the firmware and the problem persisted.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    I am not sure what your networking devices support; however, most gamers (guilty) typically look for a DHCP lease time of at least 24 hours. In my experience this has been managed on my in-home router that links directly to the ISP; however, it could be managed by the ISP. If managed by the ISP, you will need to call them to see about increasing the DHCP lease time. Unfortunately, it may take several calls complaining of dropped sessions, until the issue makes it to the purview of a higher level support technician.

11. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

Our ISP only supplies and controls the switch, I have full control of the router so I increased the lease time to 1440 minutes.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I suspect your ISP supplies a modem, not a switch.
    http://www.cables-solutions.com/switch-vs-router-vs-modem-difference.html

Which one of these units, is the first device?
    https://www.camtel.com/customer-service/high-speed-internet-how-to-guides/
    then next comes the TP-LINK TL-R470T+ router
    and last the Comtrend GS-7308 switch
    At least that's the way it should be set up. Modem to router, router to switch and switch to hardware devices.
    The switch should come after the router not before it. It should not be wired between the modem and router.
    http://www.fiber-optic-cable-sale.com/network-switch-router.html

We are saying, remove the Comtrend GS-7308 switch and attach your computer directly to the router.

13. clipzy

clipzy Thread Starter

Changing the lease time on the router has seemed to fix the problem. Thank you to everyone who pitched in I appreciate it a ton as this problem has been haunting me for months.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice