1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Britain-Police Urged to Chill Out on Cannabis Arrests

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by deh, Sep 12, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. deh

deh Thread Starter

Coincidentally saw this after the Chong arrest article. :) Looks like Britain is taking a simliar stance to Canada. So when will the USA adopt similiar policies? Or will it never happen?

I personally think it will eventually happen to where atleast it will not mandate prison sentences. I'd venture to say within 10 years.

BTW-I don't smoke it regularly and don't even know if I ever will again (gets me tired, hungry and or paranoid anymore). But if one day even if years down the road I decide I want to sit in my home roll a fatty watch Pulp Fiction or listen to some trippy classical I should not go to prison for it.

LONDON (Reuters) - Police chiefs urged their officers Friday to take a more relaxed approach to cannabis in line with a new policy that will effectively leave Britons free to enjoy the drug in private.

The guidance came as Home Secretary David Blunkett handed Parliament a draft order to downgrade the drug from Class B to the low-risk Class C to allow police to focus resources on hard drugs like heroin.

The shift in policy is likely to take effect in January.

"There will be a presumption against arrest, except where public order is at risk, or where children are vulnerable," said Blunkett.

"After reclassification, most offences of cannabis possession by adults will result in a police warning and confiscation of the drug," he added.

Officers on the street would be left to decide the maximum weight at which cannabis smokers could claim their supplies were for personal use and not dealing, said Andy Hayman, drugs spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers.

"If we start making statements about weights... those who deal in drugs will just make sure they've got possession of a drug just below the weight," he told BBC radio.

Seizures of hard drugs have reached a record high, government figures show, with heroin up 16 percent year-on-year in 2001. But cannabis still accounted for more than seven out of 10 drug seizures.

Hayman said the rationale for existing drug laws -- that people who tried cannabis were often led on to harder drugs -- had been disproved.

"The theory of 'gateway' drugs doesn't stand up," he said. "The evidence does not support that."

2. Gibble

Gibble

"The theory of 'gateway' drugs doesn't stand up," he said. "The evidence does not support that."

about time they caught on

3. sdc

sdc Guest

great stuff DEH!

Yes, they should do that!
    A real danger smokers are, If they can get up off the couch, LOL
    It would free up resources for other worse offenses ect.

It is the start of some peoples road to drugs that are worse, but that is the journey we usually all take at one time or another.
    How far you go for how long is up to you as is every other vice in this world

The older population is inundated with pill poppers, the bars are full of drunks, the crack houses are full of freaks, and the reefer houses are full of munchies!

What is your vice TSGers?

4. Gibble

Gibble

tsg stupid :p

5. gws226

gws226

TITLE of thread
    Britain-Police Urged to Chill Out on Cannabis Arrests

LOL... I can picture it now... The chief of police saying to the beat cops

'Dudes... we need to chill... relax... sit back... we're in no rush... munch on a bag of doritos and laugh at stupid things' :D :D

6. sdc

sdc Guest

Gibble and GWS :D :D :D :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice