1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

britelite

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by britelite, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. britelite

britelite Thread Starter

My first plea for help..Running XP SP2 with all current updates. Problem: IE6 will not connect to anything but a "https: site. Have been everywhere, and tried almost every suggestion including re-install,. multi repairs, etc, etc...anybody help?? much thanks

2. happyrck

happyrck

3. steve martini

steve martini

I would go with attempting to get online via another browser, as happyrck mentioned. This will rule out a browser specific issues. If you cannot get to the site to download Firefox (link in happyrck's post) then you may have to get a friend to download it and network your computers together so you can get the downloaded file. If not that, then eeeek! Your going to need to purchase the CD and wait until it comes.

4. happyrck

happyrck

you also could get someone to download it for you and put it on a USB flash drive or CD to take to your computer and install it that way

5. britelite

britelite Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the response..I should have included in my msg that I have, and am running, with no problem, Firefox, Opera and one called "Flock"..Any browser that uses the IE engine responds in the same manner as IE6.

I dont really need, or use IE6, it's just that I hate to have something on the machine that wont work!! Really bugs me..

PS. I have tried the "repair" and reinstallation routes with the SP2 CD, regsrv32 dll register,scannow routine and regedit nothing has worked..the answer to the problem is likely simple, but I cant find it..Thanks again

6. happyrck

happyrck

7. britelite

britelite Thread Starter

happyrck...

Yep, got that loaded on Firefox. Evidently, it uses the IE engine to load, so that it also, does not connect to anything except "https" sites..tnx for the reply

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

In IE, go to Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced and hit "Restore Defaults"
    On the "Security" tab, choose the "Internet Zone" and set it to "Medium" security

What error message does it give you on non-https sites?

9. britelite

britelite Thread Starter

Brenden..Done that, no joy.

IE doesn't give me an error msg, just sits there with the little MS icon upper right corner waving to me. It will sit like this for ever, I suppose. When I hit the stop icon, msg in text reads that it is unable to connect, perhaps the server is busy, yatta, yatta.

As I indicated before, the rest of my browsers (that dont depend on IE engine) work very well..This is not serious enough to cause me to lose sleep, but it does bug me..

Thanks to all the peiople who have responded ..

doug

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

11. britelite

britelite Thread Starter

Been to the eldergeek, and tried the repair several times, scannow sfc asks for the XP "pro" CD, which I'm not running (got home). I have the XP SP2 CD from MS, however it does not except this for some reason (keeps asking for the "pro" CD???). I've replaced the urlmon.dll and other dll's associated with IE, to no avail. Again tnx for the troubles..doug

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice