1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Broadband access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by appleseednz, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. appleseednz

appleseednz Thread Starter

Hi Smart ones,

I have a few problems as follow:

1. I am subscribed to unlimited broadband access and the real time download speed is 12.09mbps and upload speed is 1.03mbps. I have 3 users that fight over internet connection speed and I'll like to have the data speed equally split into 3 logins. Can this be done by average home users? What kind of equipment do I need and do I need a specific software?

2. We are on a farm, is there a way to extend the connection signal further from the house where the modem currently sits? Can this be done by average home users? What kind of equipment do I need and do I need a specific software?

3. Is there any way to limit access to certain category of websites by an average home user at network level? Eg. Adult, Gambling, Drugs.

Thanks in advance for helping a clueless mum.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    12.09Mbps is a very low speed. Or is that the speed you're paying for?

I don't think there's anything the "average" home user can do to, as you put it, split bandwidth evenly between three logins. It would depend on the type of router you have. But,generally speaking, probably not.

To extend a Wifi signal you'll need either a Wifi signal booster or a second access point. How far from the Router location are you wishing to go? And is it in a different building? You could pull a Ethernet cable from the modem/router to a "remote" location and install an Access point there. But ethernet too has a limit on how far you can be from the source. I believe it's about 300 feet in optimal conditions. I could be wrong though.

The ability to block content would also have to be a feature in the router. You'll have to read the manual to see if it offers any kind of, content filtering.

3. appleseednz

As we are rural, it is over a VDSL so not flash connection. That’s the best we can get here...

So do you mean if I have a router, I might have a chance at it? What would a non average user do?

The total area we like to cover is about 1 acre.
    It’s a L shaped area so I might get lucky with repeaters? Hopefully...

Will check out a possible router.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It doesn't matter how you split it. You will still go through the 'same door' as it were.

Your problem is probably the upload speed. If either down or upstream is maxed out, then it will slow everyone down and since the upload is small, it's possible that is getting maxed. Especially if someone is using a peer-2-peer program that utilizes uploads.

Check with your provider if they have the ability to see your usage in real time to confirm if the upstream is being maxed out, or even the signals are strong enough as that will affect the speed.

5. appleseednz

Thanks for your reply, I'll probably speak to a local IT shop and have him come round to have a look and see what my options are.

I don't think I have enough knowledge to hold a proper conversation here. LOL...

Might just frustrate you guys more. But I really appreciate that you guys tried to help. :)

Have a great weekend.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No worries. I used to work for a cable internet company so i have patience like a saint. Let us know if you have any other questions.

7. appleseednz

Bless you! :)
    btw your sign off is really funny.
    maybe 4. can read as : don't wear it on your head.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice