1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband annoyingly slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eon19, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

Hi
    My broadband connection is running incredibly slow (sometimes as low 1mb ps). That said, sometimes it is fine and runs at speeds in excess of 7mb ps as it should. I'm with virgin broadband and I'm using a Netgear wireless router. During the bad moments I check the speed on braodbandspeedchecker.co.uk and the data downloads in fits and starts, with nothing come through for seconds followed by a sudden rush of data at high speed, then back to nothing or little. The other laptop in the house does not have these issues.
    My laptop is using Windows xp. I've virus scanned and tried all the optimization techniques I can lay my hands on.
    It's bloody annoying especially as I'm supposed to using an online study course at the moment.
    Please Help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, this sure sounds like an ISP issue.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

3. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

I thought my issue might have been the ISP, but the other laptop in the house downloads at top speeds while mine is spluttering.

I registered at the site. Found old cable for connecting straight to my modem, but couldn't create a connection with it. Tried doing a line quality test with wireless. I changed my firewall to allow pings but couldn't work out how to configure my router to do so. I have no idea where to configure my netgear router. I have no icon anywhere for this piece of hardware.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have the same problem with an ethernet connection to the router?

5. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

I tried connecting the ethernet but I couldn't get any connection to the net. Do I need to reconfigure anything after connecting the cable?

I've just had two random days where my speeds were back up close to 10mbps. This morning, quite randomly back to a spluttering trickle!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connecting by ethernet to the router should require nothing additional; connecting to the modem requires power cycling (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem.

7. khatikbbdn72

khatikbbdn72

well its got nothing to do wid ethernet nd stuff.. as it gets to bettar speed at some moment... try out to format ur os nd let me know wht happens.?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    khatikbbdn72, what does "try out to format ur os" mean in English?

9. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

Have had a few days with perfect speeds via router. This morning it was back to a spluttering mess. Managed to connect with the ethernet cable and the speeds were back to perfect. Checked again with the other laptop and speeds on it are great as well.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly wireless interference. For a time when you are getting good wireless service and again for the spluttering mess time please show a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

11. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

Here's a screen shot from just know. It's been moderately spluttering. I take another shot when it's next running smooth:

[​IMG]

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We can't get to a local screen shot, you have to upload them here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

13. eon19

eon19 Thread Starter

Sorry about time between replies but I went on a quick break. Have made a jpeg as instructed when the connection was spluttery and slow. Will do another when it's next running smooth.

Attached Files:

14. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

The SpeedTouch and Casling wireless networks are on the same channel, that may be the cause of the interference

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Given that particular combination of networks I think I'd try channels 3, 2 and 1, in that order.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice