1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband connection to two PCs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CuttingCrew, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

I have my main PC and a backup PC tucked away under my desks.

Whenever I want to use the backup PC, I have to scramble around on the floor to unplug my broadband USB connector from my main PC to plug it into the backup PC.

Is there anything I can buy to help stop the problem that doesn't cost a fortune. Somekind of cable or splitter device?

Cheers
    CC

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello, if you want to have them both use the connection but not at the same time, some sort of switch would be necessary, I don't know of any gadget you could buy to do it (they may exist, however); that could be a homebrew electronics project. If you want them to use the connection at the same time, then you need a NAT router, which you can purchase (or build using an old PC with at least two NICs.)

3. vicks

vicks

I am able to connect my Desk top PC to the DSL modem via ethernet and at the same time connect my laptop via USB. (Siemens SpeedStream 4200)
    Vicks

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

Aha, I wondered about that but never tried, my cable modem's got a RJ45 and a USB connection. I got an old Dell playing NAT because I need to share.

5. bigbear

bigbear

6. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers
    CC

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice