1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband & DialUp Connection HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dick471, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

:confused: I need help. I installed XP+SP2 ( blanked the drive of ME & reformatted NTFS) on my daughter's computer who lives 600 miles away. I put in a NIC card so I could get on the internet for Dell drivers; activation and anti-virus updates. She ONLY has a winmodem for dialup connection thru phone line. The Network Connection Wizard will not allow a Dial-Up connection, just Broardband. She uninstalled the NIC & modem in device manager, shutdown & removed both cards; reinstalled the dialup modem, which is found in device manager and says it's working with the same results. Add a new network connection will NOT allow a dialup connection. Tried a new modem with same results. Any ideas before I have her do a complete XP Repair from her CD???

2. bhc7447

bhc7447

if youre setting up just one card, start from scratch, delete all the drivers related, remove the card and restart. Your system should now show that no network card was ever installed, even in device manager. Now shutdown your system, put the card in, and restart. Your system should detect a new card and ask you to install the hardware, try doing this manually. If you have the drivers on cd, point it to the cd, if you have the drivers on your computer, point it to the directory. It should install without a hitch, restart. Now when your computer boots, go to device manager and see if your card is installed and is "properly working" to the best of XP's knowledge. Also make sure the shut down device to save power option is not checked. You should now have a working network card. Try not setting up the connection through add a network connection. Whatever your ISP is, should have their own dialup configuration utility. For example netzero/AOL will have a setup screen where the program initializes your modem, tries to connect to it, and then has you pick local phone numbers. If your card is recognized but your ISP utility isn't saying that your modem has connectivity, it may just be the way you have it configured to your phone line. Narrow it down to a working network card or a bad connection. Regardless of using your Network Connection Wizard, you still need an ISP who provides you with a connection number or it's not going to work.

3. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

bhc7447: Thanks but we've tried this. Device Manager show NO Network Adapters, just a brand new Modem with drivers and says under properties that it's working correctly. We restarted and selected "New Connection Wizard"; but we can't select "Connect using a dial-up modem". "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" is selected, and we can't uncheck this!

4. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

The only service disabled since installation was Windows Firewall because I like Sygate. Using any form of network connection wizard to select "Connect using a dial-up modem" can't be selected---period. It's stuck on Broadband Connection only. Her ISP is thru her company (NO CD) and she has all of the info from them to manually install but can't enter the info. she used this setup info in Windows ME for 4 years. Her ISP has NO idea what to do for her! Under Control Panel>Network Connections is blank.

5. bhc7447

bhc7447

Have you managed to completely uninstall the original drivers, leaving absolutely no trace of the original, including in the device manager? If a bad or corrupted install is left behind, you wont be able to do a clean install. Are you using a cd to install the drivers for the modem, if not, what are you using and are you certain you downloaded the appropriate set for the modem? Make sure your computer does not read a network connection at all, no traces. Then try a clean install. It should work. Also, is she running a desktop computer or a laptop? Most desktops have a few open slots to use, maybe try another slot?

6. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

bhc7447: Yes we removed the NIC and the old Modem drivers. She bought a new WinModem with drivers on a CD. Installed modem in a different slot, installed the drivers from the CD, but still can't "Connect to Internet using a dial-up modem" in Network Connections. Am I wrong that a "Repair" using the XP+SP2 CD which should replace all system files won't solve this? If I go to the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs/Windows Components and uninstall TCP/IP and Network Connections>reboot and reinstall the "Simple TCP/IP" using the CD would this start a fresh Network Connection for a manually dial-up connection?

7. radar2ooo

radar2ooo

Hey dick471.

Any luck with your connection? I too did a clean install of Windows XP and I can't seem to get an internet connection?? I know my internet is working, as I'm using my laptop, but my dad's laptop (which had the install) won't connect?

Please let me know if you were successful.

Thanks.

8. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

I'll have to wait awhile for a final solution to this as they left for Houston saturday to help down there

9. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

SOLVED: My son went over with all of my instructions from the forums and myself. Removed both the modum and Nic card and drivers. Did a system restore prior to my installing the Nic card; uninstalled TCP/IP and reinstalled; put in a new modem; put dial info in Control Panel> Phone and Modem setup; Setup a Network Connection and it works. Unfortunately he did all of this at one time, so we don't know which deed fixed the problem. But I thank everyone for their help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/396065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice