1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband from dialup changeover

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by James41, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James41

James41 Thread Starter

I am about to change from dialup to broadband. I want to make a tidy changeover so that I do not lose any files etc in Internet Explorer (e.g. favourites) or in Outlook express. I know that ther are some import/ export facilities in the latter.
    I want to make sure that all of these are transferable in the right form for the new setup. Firstly can I run both broadband and dialup together for a while until my dialup finally cuts off? Presumably connection settings would be different. What I am not clear about is whether you use the same IE and outlook Express copies as before but change parameters if necessary or whether you install separate copies somehow each dedicated to a particular service.
    I am thinking in terms of having the dialup as a backup during the changeover to make sure that the broadband is working properly.
    If it's all the same copy, what exactly needs to be changed as you go backwards and forwards to the different services? Also are there any other do's and don'ts which are good tips in this situation.
    I will probably be connecting to BT in the UK using their wireless modem/router which has a wired facility as well to the first computer.
    Any other tips about what to backup would be useful.
    Many thanks,
    James

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

You don't need to change or save anything to accomodate upgrading to broadband . The same softwares work as usual regardless of the internet connection type , only faster :) .

That said , it's good practice to back up your data regularly in any case . You never know what trouble might be around the corner .....

3. James41

James41 Thread Starter

Thanks very much
    James

4. ZI0N

ZI0N

Glad to hear your making the switch, i actually had a nightmare about being stuck on dial up last night lol. I honestly would rather go without the Internet altogether than be on dial up again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice