1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband/IE probs!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cheztaz, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheztaz

cheztaz Thread Starter

Hello All

OK, my pc has McAfee Virus protection and Zonealarm Firewall (both latest versions). I also use Windows XP (with SP2) and NTLworld broadband.

I have started having problems with the internet. Click on IE and it brings my homepage up!, open OE6 and it retrieves emails, so no problems connecting.

Recently I have found that after a while (anything from 15 mins to 5 hours later!), with broadband still on - when I click on IE it brings up the message that it cannot find page, and OE6 comes up with warnings to say it cannot connect to internet to retrieve messages.

I have gone into Control panel, network connections and looked at my connection..and it is still running!!!! (how can it be, when I cannot access anything?)

I have contacted NTL World and they say that all is fine their end, so it must be my pc!!

Can anyone help please? I am happy for someone to remote assist via msn messenger if they let me know their email address, as I am not that pc literate.

Thanks
    Chez

2. Moby

Moby

Ntl can be a temperamental beast and you can go through little phases of loss of connection, especially at the start I remember, although I have found it has settled down lately. Firstly they are always carrying out maintenance or fixing something somewhere, which is not a bad thing. You can check what is happening at any given time HERE (make sure you select the right date top right of the page)
    Do you have the Cable modem that Ntl provide? Some standard advice they always give is that you can 'reset' your connection by turning off your computer, unplugging the computer and the modem from the mains for 2 mins, turn the plugs back on, don't start the computer until the 'test' light on the modem stops flashing and you have 3 steady lights, then start your computer.
    Do this the next time it fails, if there is no outage/maintenance showing on the status page above, and your connection comes back after this little procedure, give them a ring with this information.
    Overall though, I find their internet service good and they're quite helpful on the phone - when you can get through ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice