1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband Internet Access with Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Seany66, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seany66

Seany66 Thread Starter

Hello - I would be really grateful for some advice :confused:

We have one PC running Windows 98, Pentium 3, 450MHz memory and is connected to NTL broadband internet. (N.B. NTL don’t “officially” support networks)
    We also have a newer PC running XP AMD Athlon 2200+ and we bought a US Robotics router (8000-02) to share the 1MB bandwidth.
    Worked fine for two to three weeks then suddenly stopped overnight. We reviewed router literature for troubleshooting tips, but now neither of us can access the Internet via the router. The Windows 98 PC will still access the Internet when connected directly to the cable modem but the XP machine will not. We have tried various combinations of IP and gateway addresses and reset the router several times with no success. Is it likely the router is at fault (as it used to operate OK) or are we missing something more obvious?!

2. Del

Del

When using the router, neither machine will pull up a webpage, correct?
    But the 98 machine will still work when connected directly to the modem.
    You verified the router setup is correct and both machines set to obtain an IP address automatically?

One possibility, when you got the service, did anyone ask for the MAC address of your network adapter?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I hate to suggest the obvious, but I occasionally have to reset my router to get it to wake up, about once a month. It will just lose access to the Internet, everything else seems to work. A reset (or power cycle) will restore it's sanity.

4. Del

Del

Said they reset the modem several times, I think they meant power off and back on, but possible not.

5. Jest8

Jest8

You'll also have to power off the modem every time you connect it to another device (either P.C or Router)

6. exocet

exocet

At times, it may be necessary to reset your router (i usually reset the modem along with it). If the router obtains corrupted or inaccurate information in it's routing table, it's possible it will hose up your internet connection. A reset is all that's required to clear the routing table from memory so it can rebuild it. How do you have your ip addressing/subnet mask/gateway addresses set up?

7. Seany66

Seany66 Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

I have reset both router and modem (independantly and together) both by the switch on the router (there isn't one on the modem) and by disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

I have also been advised to ping all of the IP addresses available for the router, gateway, ISP, etc., which should help root cause the problem.

I have not been asked for an MAC address - is this something I ought to be aware of?

I'm struggling to get free time to work on them at the minute, but I will let you know how we get on. Sorry if my approach is basic but I'm kinda new to all of this!!!

Thanks again - your support is much appreciated

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the cable modem is a DOCSIS compliant modem, they normally use the MAC address of the modem. In that case, anything beyond the modem isn't a factor. However, there is one thing that might enter into this problem, the computer name. Did you change the Host Name (or similar, depending on your router) to match the name of the computer that works when connected directly? Before Comcast left @home for their network management, you had to have a specific computer name to make it fly, perhaps that's your issue.

9. Del

Del

I asked about if they asked for a MAC address when you first got the service because a few ISP's in the states do it and if you change your network adapter, you have to call in the MAC address so you can connect again.
    Doesn't sound like you're situation though.
    When you connect the Win 98 machine directly to the modem, do you have an icon on the desktop that you have to double click then click connect??:confused:

10. Pjotter

Pjotter

it's not clear for me . can you acces your router settings ?
    if not, is somting with the acces securrity to the router. There is a page you can secure the router by mac adress if you do some ting wrong you can't acces it at all. happens me for one time.
    reset the modem
    Unplug the power supply. Press in and hold the RESET button. While holding the RESET button, plug in the power supply. When the 4-Port Broadband Router has power again, continue to hold the RESET button until the SYSTEM LED begins flashing. This will reset the 4-Port Broadband Router to the factory default settings.
    if you still can't see the router. Did you check your browser proxy settings ? other wise a thing it is broken.

11. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Update the router's firmware

12. Rockn

Rockn

Firmware update is a moot point since it was working before:
    I would suspect your ISP has changed something and failed to notify you like only supporting one MAC address. Try setting up the router to clone the MAC address of your router.

13. Pjotter

Pjotter

that is not the point becaurce with this you use all ready the same. MAC address and that is the address of the last sigment and that is the modem. he did not change it and how sud the now what the mac adress is of his router is . becaurse they can't see them behind the modem. it was a point if he change the modem.

14. BodyG

BodyG

I have a similar problem, I have 4 computers connected to the same broadband router, and one night 3 of the 4 comps went offline. Now im a writing from the only one that is online, I did everything you posted and nothing worked, the only difference between the 4 comps, is that this one that is working fine, is connected directly to the router, the other 3 are connected to a hub. The problem that I see is that when I set auto-assigned IP's it assigns something like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx when it should assing 192.168.123.xxx and the same happens with the subnet mask, It is set at 255.255.0.0 when it should be 255.255.255.0
    I tried to set it manually but it doesnt seem to work
    I cannot connect through ANY machine to the router via web.
    Dont know why. If anybody can see the problem here please help me.
    Oh, and 2 more questions, which of all the IPs assigned represents the router? Default gateway?
    and, what does the command line for ipconfig setclassid means?

15. Pjotter

Pjotter

it meens that you don't set a address from the dhcp server.
    the computer generate is one in the 169.*.*.* range
    i think the kabel of your hub to the router is not plucget right on the hubsite it must by on the crosslinked port or use a crosskabel.
    i hope i understand this question.
    the gateway is the router ip 192.168.123.254
    clasid i don't now nothing inportant so far i no. if you tray by your self it will responded with
    C:\>ipconfig /showclassid *
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    There are no DHCP classes for adapter "Local Area Connection".
    just check the cabel is pluged to the right port

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice