1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband line speed. Help please!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mutchy, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

At the end of November/begininning of December I switched to a different broadband package within AOL, changing from AOL Gold to Broadband wireless. The wireless package is up to 8 Meg in speed, but I know that approx 4 Meg is the maximum available to me.

To begin with all was well and I was getting good speeds when web browsing etc, but after two or three weeks the speed suddenly decreased from 3.7 Meg to approx 400kbps. I queried this with technical support (!), and jumped through all the hoops they asked me to, unplugging, replugging, power cycle of the wireless router etc all to no avail. They then decided there was a fault on my line and reported this to BT...BT said the line was fine. A reset of the line by AOL finally brought my speed back up to 3.8 Meg.

After another couple of weeks exactly the same thing happened again. I went through the same hoops with Technical Support, then they decided there was a fault on the line... BT said there wasn't, and this time an engineer was sent out to do some checks at the exchange, then come here. The morning of the engineer's visit my speed was still slow, after his checks at the exchange it went back to approx 3.2 Meg.

That was a week ago. Yesterday my line speed fell dramatically again, to the point that speed tests now show a downstream that averages at about 100kbps. This morning I've done a full power cycle (more in hope than anticipation!) but it has had no effect.
    I've read where people have had trouble understanding the various measures of linespeed in relation to the rate they believe they should be receiving, and I fully admit that this could apply to me too. However, what I am seeing is a huge difference between results on the same websites... for example on Broadband Watchdog from 3200kbps to 127kbps, these tests being done several times to exclude the possibility of them being affected by time of day, demand on the website etc. For the third time, my upstream figures are now higher than those for downstream.

I also see a big change in results from the speedtester.bt.com checker. After the engineer called last week my IP profile showed as 3500kbps, with the DSL connection rate the same as it is now. Actual IP throughput was approx 3200kbps. Today the results show as follows...
    Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 116 kbps

I've already tripled my phonebill for this month with calls to Technical Support and honestly don't know what to do next. I'm hoping that someone reading this may have some insight into what the significance is of the change in IP Profile for example, and I apologise for such a long post!
    I'm connecting my PC to a Thomson Speedtouch router using an ethernet cable. Operating system is XP.
    Many thanks to anyone who has got this far!! :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My advice? Get rid of AOL and get a real ISP.

Let's see this as well.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.

3. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

4. JohnWill

You really need to get the PING working. The setting for allowing PING is in the router configuration.

5. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I don't know how to get to the router configuration.

6. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

Just tested again through speedtester.bt.com and its back to how it should be.
    Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3255 kbps

I'm glad, but totally confused too! I'd really like to set up something like a Sonos system streaming music and intenet radio, but am a bit concerned about doing so while my line appears to be so unreliable.

7. JohnWill

Hard to say what the issue was. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice