1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband modem lease problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Curly, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

Hello all. Having a problem with my modem obtaining its proper lease. And this is causing me to have intermittent service.

For some reason, winipcfg is saying that I'm obtaining a 1 hour lease. I contacted my ISP (Attbi). They say that their server is showing that its offering us a 4 day lease. I've released all, renewed all in winipcfg, but its still giving me only a 1 hour lease.

Speaking of winipcfg, how is the information obtained? The Ethernet adapter name in the drop down menu. The Host name, etc.

Attbi is claiming that they have the correct 'Adapter Address' for my NIC. Attbi is blaming the problem on my NIC card/driver. However, I updated it, and the problem still exists. So, they're to go out and buy a new card. Attbi registerd my NIC card, however I believe they registered the incorrect one.

What does everyone think? What's the problem causing the 1 hour lease? Is it something on my end, or my ISPs?

2. Del

Del

How do you connect to the internet? dial up , cable or dsl??

3. Rockn

Rockn

You modem/router is probably set for the hour vaue you are experienceing. I don't know why it would be set at the ISP as well as at the modem though.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you are connecting directly to the modem, I'd say it's their problem. DHCP lease duration is determined by the server, not the client. FWIW, something else it at play here, because if you had a 1 hour lease, it would work perfectly fine, the DHCP client normally asks for a lease extension when 1/2 of the lease time remains. Unless they're not granting the extension, you should never know the difference between an hour or a year lease.

Have you tried deleting all the network components and rebooting and reinstalling?
    Do you have a DOCSIS cable modem or is this DSL? If you have a DOCSIS cable modem, the MAC address they reference is in the modem, not your NIC. For DSL, at least the Verizon in PA style, they didn't need the MAC address of the NIC.

Do you have a router in this mix, or a direct connection. Perhaps more info is needed.

5. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

This is with a cable modem connected directly to my system--I don't have a router.

6. JohnWill

If your ISP didn't like the MAC address, you wouldn't get connected for one minute, never mind one hour. I'm at a loss as to what is happening here. Is it possible to get another machine temporarily connected to your modem and see if it has the issue? It would be a quick way to narrow it down to either your configuration or the ISP's problems.

7. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

Yeah, that would help exclude my computer & hardware from causing the problem. But, unfortunately I don't have access to another computer.

BTW, I'm renting this cable modem from AT&T (Attbi, soon to be 'Comcast'). They have only offered me RCA modems here where I live. They won't give me any other type, even though I know they have others. Wonder if its the specific modem Manufacturer/model causing the problem. Do cable modems have firmware? I've tried looking for an update on RCA's webpage, but they say that I have to contact my ISP. And my ISP has nothing.

Modem: RCA DCM245

8. Del

Del

If you're getting a one hour lease, is it staying on an hour before you get disconnected??

9. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

Seems to be. Admittedly, I have not sat around and timed it directly to what the lease states. Its kind of difficult to time my use to the exact moment that my lease expires. But my service has been very intermittent.

For instance, when I open Explorer to browse the web, sometimes I do not get a response from the web. I have to close Explorer, then reopen it to get a response. And this doesn't happen just with Explorer: it happens with email, it happens when trying to upload & download files. My connection times out. Again, this doesn't happen every time I try to use the internet--only sometimes. The connection will work for a while, then quit. This leads me to believe that its due to the one hour lease, and not to a specific piece of software that I'm running.

Sounds like I have a pretty elusive problem. Thanks to all for your help!!

10. JohnWill

It would be very helpful, you mean to tell me you don't have any friends with a laptop that live close? :)
    Cable modems certainly do have firmware, but they're correct in saying that you probably have to talk to the cable company about it. OTOH, if it's a standard DOCSIS compliant modem, there must be some mention of it somewhere on the manufacturer's website. The interesting issue here is the short lease time. That clearly seems to be something on their end. OTOH, I still don't believe that it should affect your operation. I had this discussion months ago in a forum, and I setup my router for a 1 hour lease (shortest allowed), and rebooted everything. I ran for days that way with no issues, just to prove it wouldn't be an issue.

FWIW, I use a Toshiba modem, it happened to be the cheapest brand I recognized when cable came to my area, :) I've heard than in one year Comcast is not going to charge less for me having a modem, so I'm going to have them give me one of theirs, no sense in supporting equipment if there's no benefit. :rolleyes:

11. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

Heh, very true. My neighbor just came home, so I tried her notebook. Same 1 hour lease keeps coming up. I even restart the system after every release & renew.

So, this eliminates my computer from causing the problem. Could it be caused by my leased modem itself? I'll keep searching for a firmware update.

12. JohnWill

Since it's not your computer configuration, I'd get back to the ISP and tell them to fix their problem! As I previously stated, I don't know of any way for the client to force a specific lease time for DHCP, it's set by the server. I would have been astonished if you had different results with another computer, now you know it's not your issue. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice