1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband performance poor lately!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sasquatch, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I've got broadband cable service at 3000 kbps(?). I just tested using BroadbandReports.com and I'm getting 129 kbps download and 219 kbps upload! Obviously there's something goofy going on.

I've already run Ad-Aware and Spybot and have Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpyBlaster and AVG running full time. The PC is as clean as I can get it at this point.

Edited to add - I just powered down the modem and router for 10 seconds, and also disconnected the modem cable and reset things. It did speed things up, but this hasn't worked in the past few weeks so I'm not sure. I also retested the speeds and I'm now at 149 kbps download and 218 kbps upload, so the download is still an issue.

Any suggestions on the next step to find out what's going on?

Thanks.

2. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

Dude, call your ISP and get a tech support rep on a phone. If the problem can't be resolved over the phone, have them send a cable guy to your house to check your lines. If this problem just appeared recently from out of nowhere, your ISP is probably experiencing network bandwidth problems. Call them up and complain and get a tech support case generated.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I just shut things down, waited a few minutes and then rebooted and retested. This time I got a download speed of 2710095 bps, or 2646 kbps. and an upload speed of speed or 236934 bps, or 231 kbps. This is screwy.

I am trying to get in touch with Charter Tech Support, but their wait list is ridiculous.

Edited to add.... BINGO! I finally got Tech Support and it turns out it's a regional problem that stretches across areas of NC and SC.

Please consider this issue resolved at this point.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!