1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband - poor signal in certain rooms

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Skiddy1978, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiddy1978

Skiddy1978 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Hoping you can help? We have a BT home hub 4.0 type A and use broadband regularly at home. Our home is in essence 'L' shaped and living in an old cottage with thick walls we really struggle for signal in specifically 2 rooms (each at the end of the 'L' shape) I want to increase the signal in these rooms but don't know how to?
    I've seen the plug in adapters but worry how efficient they will be in an old build with old wiring? I've tried reading on the Internet but get a little lost - would anyone be able to offer some suggestions?? In these rooms I only need wifi signal for mobile devises, no hi-tech computers for gaming etc!!
    I've tried moving the hub - but the result is always the same just different rooms have poor signal.
    Thanks in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so these rooms are at opposite ends of the house ( L )
    I assume the router is in the middle - ( right angle of the L )

you could use powerline , but as you say the wiring may not be upto it - or a wireless extender - but seems you would need two

BT are showing booster aerials on this link
    http://home.bt.com/techgadgets/techguides/how-to-boost-your-home-wifi-11363806366107
    NOT sure if they will work on a BT HOME HUB 4 a s the aerial is usually inside the box

are you able to move the router to a position where one of the rooms works along the L , so that all you need to be able to do is extend in one side of the house ?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Or maybe you can run an ethernet cable part way to the poor reception rooms and install another wireless access point?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!