Broadband problem

Buckrodgersgb

I recently upgraded to Sky Q. And have a mini box connected via wi-fi, with a booster signal too. However the mini box stutters when viewing programs or won’t play at all. Sky have suggested, as we have 11 devices connected, that the signal is shared between devices and if too many apps are open, will compromise speed to mini box.... IS THIS TRUE or am I getting the brush off again?
Advice would be appreciated.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Assuming that the main box is fine with the recordings, then you may have wireless interference. Do you know what wireless network it's connected to? (i.e. 2.4GHz / 5GHz)

TerryNet

Terry
as we have 11 devices connected, that the signal is shared between devices and if too many apps are open, will compromise speed to mini box.... IS THIS TRUE or am I getting the brush off again?
Wireless is half duplex and only one device can transmit at a time. So with 12 devices (I'm assuming that the 11 you mentioned doesn't include the wireless router or access point) the network can get quite congested.

TerryNet

Terry
with a booster signal too
I missed that earlier. What do you mean by booster signal? If you mean you are using a Repeater (Range Extender) that also slows speed considerably.

When you have the mini-box connected directly to the router's signal and no other traffic on your LAN what are the results? This test should determine whether you are dealing with network congestion (my expectation) or have a more basic problem.

Buckrodgersgb

Sky gave us a booster to ensure wi-fi covers whole house. It does work better when less on network, so I assume it’s the number of devices connected that slows it down.
Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts