1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andy909, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

We have two computers, one downstairs and the other upstairs. There is a phone line by each computer. We are thinking about getting broadband but dont want the hassle of wireless networking.

Would I be able to have one broadband modem plugged in upstairs and one plugged in downstairs in the same telephone line?

Please guide me, thanks. :D

2. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

No you wouldn't be able to do that

3. sebb2004

sebb2004

You can if you have 2 broadband modems. If you have only one modem, connect to a router then the wires will have to run from the router to your computers.

4. §chame

§chame

No matter what you do it will have to be either of these three options:

1.) Wireless

2.) Another phone line or cable......

3.) Really long wires.

†§chame†

5. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

I really dont think that you could do that, both modems would be fighting for the same signal and the only way it would work is if you disconnected one so that the other one could connect. Thereby defeating the purpose of an always on connection. But in that respect yes it would work, but not simultaneaously.

6. joe2cool

joe2cool

7. andy909

andy909 Thread Starter

So it looks like the only way is to use wireless router technology as the computers are too far away to run cables, how far can a wireless connector go away from the router?

The only cable i have is the telelphone line (same number) in both rooms. Thanks 4 all ur help so far.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The range of a wireless router is very dependent on the specific hardware at both ends, the type of construction of the building, the interference sources, etc. In short, there's no easy to predict the range without knowing a lot more about the environment. You can also install hi-gain antennas on most routers to increase the range somewhat...

9. Mikesa

Mikesa

With one computer hooked to the internet, your could use your existing telephone line to connect the two. I have 5 computers connected this way sharing Broadband Internet. Each computer would need an HPNA (phoneline) adapter, usb,PCI etc. that then connects to the phone jack utilizing existing wiring. HPNA protocol uses a different band than analog voice thus can run on the telephone wiring without effecting your normal telephone service. The protocol for this has been standardized and a couple different vendors sell the adapters. The latest version of this has a 10Mbps data capacity. I'm not an expert, but this has been working for me for a couple years. May be a solution.

Mike

10. compgeek101

compgeek101

I have a very basic wireless router and it has a range of 500 feet, and unless the computers are very very far away i think that would do it. My router is a netgear MR814v2.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think 500 feet is only in your dreams, unless you have a totally unobstructed line of sight between the router and the wireless client...

12. compgeek101

compgeek101

This is what my router tells me about the range.

Outdoor environment Indoor environment
    @ 11 Mbps 398 ft (120 m) 198 ft (60 m)
    @ 5.5 Mbps 561 ft (170 m) 264 ft (80 m)
    @ 2 Mbps 890 ft (270 m) 430 ft (130 m)
    @ 1 Mbps 1485 ft (450 m) 660 ft (200 m)

So it can go 500 ft but the rate would be very smal :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice