1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Broadband Speed on one PC cut to 10%

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jesusofchicago, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jesusofchicago

jesusofchicago Thread Starter

In 20+ years of computing, I've run into a problem that just has me completely perplexed.

I have a G3 Dell Laptop that's only a few months old. Everything was fine until today, when my broadband speed dropped from around 80mbps to 8-9mbps, so about 10% of what it used to be. I noticed the difference and ran tests on several different sites.

Here's the kicker - when I plug my laptop directly into the modem, it's at 8mbps, when I plug another laptop in, it's at the 80mbps, so it's definitely something on my laptop.

The laptop is clean from malware. I've tinkered a bit with the network settings and nothing has changed. All my drivers are up to date, Windows 10 is up to date - I even uninstalled my AV and disabled ALL startup programs just to see if that was it - still at 8mbps.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing this?

Thanks!

2. jesusofchicago

So after 4 hours of trying to fix the issue, my speed returned to normal. Maybe an ISP traffic issue, but I'm not sure why that would only impact my PC, especially when I was wired into the modem. Either way, it's resolved - not that I know how.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Double check with your ISP to make sure there was no outages / signal issues that would cause that.

4. jesusofchicago

The strange thing is that I took the network cable (from modem to PC) and moved it from a PC getting 80mbps to my laptop, and my laptop would only get 8mbps. So the ISP was sending a decent signal, but my laptop wasn't getting it. Then later, it started working again, with no changes.

I thought it might be traffic or something, but my other PC was doing fine. Weird...

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any file sharing programs like uTorrent? If so, then that may explain it too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice