1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband Speed Speakeasy Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodgeek, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodgeek

woodgeek Thread Starter

Hi All,

Two of my PCs sit side by side, are hooked to the same router, etc. but one tests out at about half the download speed of the other. Both have XP Pro Service Pack 2.... the one that tests faster (downloading) is an AMD 2GB RAM w/ a Marvel Yukon PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller and the one that downloads slower is a core 2 duo w/ an Intel 82566DC Gigabit network controller.

I don't get it! :confused: The one tests at 7648 kbps and the other in the 4,000 range.... I have updated the driver... it didn't help so I dropped back to the original. My core 2 should be kicking the other's butt!

ANy help would be appreciated.

Woodgeek

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Try switching the port numbers to them and see if there is a difference that way. If the AMD is set at Port 1 and the Intel is set at port 2 just switch them. If there is no difference it is the network card that is at fault.

3. woodgeek

woodgeek Thread Starter

Thanks Lefty,

I have tried switching ports and the cables too. Same problem. It's weird, the download speed is a little more than half but the upload is right on the money. I can't help feeling that it's a setting somewhere. I'm going to tinker with it a little more before replacing the card (though that would be faster).. . I always like to know if things will be a repeating problem for others with the same hardware. thx.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice