1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rjay, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjay

rjay Thread Starter

I have recently upgraded from dial up to broadband. I had just downloaded some software and it took a few minutes to download,15 mg. The speed it was downloading was 50 kbps. My broadband speed is supposed to be 256/512 upload/download! Why is it still downloading as if it is dialup. I do not dialup and the broadband is connected! XP, 3.2 ghtz, 160 gig, 512 ram,

2. BillC

BillC

3. Moby

Moby

Your cable speed is measured differently to your windows download speed. A 512k cable modem is measured in bytes, your windows download box speed is measured in bits. To convert them to the same you divide the 512 by 8 to get your theoretical max download speed as reported in the windows download box. So 512k broadband will give a max 64kbs download speed and your old 56k dial up gave you a max of 7kbps (although you were lucky to get 5) Your 50kbs download speed can depend on a number of things. The web/sites can get busy for instance which affects download speeds. Try other downloads, sites to experiment. 50kbs download speed can be normal just because of the volume of traffic if these other downloads come in faster.
    You won't get more than 64 though in the windows download box (sustainable that is, you get peaks that can go higher momentarily)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice