1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband won't stay connected

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sobroken, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

I'm having a serious problem keeping my broadband connected. I've had it for about a year and it's been totally fine, but recently it just suddenly disconnects for no reason and then won't reconnect without me restarting my whole PC.

Usually, this seems to happen when I'm opening up another program like Outlook or Photoshop or something.

What the hell could be causing this? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not part of a network or anything, and as I say it has been working fine.

Any info you require I'd be happy to provide.

Chloe

2. Mrcobra

Mrcobra

I have gone through 3 cable modems in 4 years. I had a tech come out from my cable company and tested the lines. Each time they ended up changing my cable modem. Just a thought

3. heroine

heroine

yea.. i agree.. its possible that it's already a problem with your dsl modem. you can also check if there are possible sources of EMI anywhere near your modem. since ur modem is quite old, it's more susceptible to EMIs. Or better yet, u can call ur ISP so that they can check if there are any line problems causing this.

4. BillC

BillC

I don't think it is your modem if restarting your PC solves the problem. My guess is that you have a software firewall that is blocking your ISP's 'heartbeat'. Do you have a firewall and if so, do you have your DHCP server in the Trusted zone?

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I agree with BillC even though he's a Yellow Jackets fan :D

[​IMG] GOOOOOO DAWGS!

Rollin

6. SnoozyBoozy

SnoozyBoozy

Hi people,

I am having EXACTLY the same problem..

I have unplugged all other usb devices, didn't work.

NOT a virus. (running norton internet security 2005).

Thinking of buying a powered usb hub, don;t want the expense if it won't make any difference.

HEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!

There was me thinking broadband was an always on connection!!! Been having this problem for ages.

XP system, operated by blonde... go easy!

Angie xx

7. BillC

BillC

I'll need to ask if you have a software firewall installed? Not having your DHCP server in the trusted zone could cause this behavior.

8. SnoozyBoozy

SnoozyBoozy

:confused: bibblemumblefff?? lol

I have the xp windows thingy turned off and i have norton internet security 2005..

dhcp?? dingbat hiding cups of porridge??

i can safely say that my computer most definately in the trusted zone.. it is in my front room! :D

9. BillC

BillC

You have Norton Internet Security that has a firewall. You should check to see if your DNS and DHCP servers are in the Trusted Zone in your Firewall's control panel. Here is how you find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In NIS on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

10. SnoozyBoozy

SnoozyBoozy

I went to run, and i typed in command and hit ok... then it told me that that was not recognised as an internal or external command...

:(

prooooof...

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\ANGIE>ipconfig /all
    'IPCONFIG' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\DOCUME~1\ANGIE>ipconfig/all

C:\DOCUME~1\ANGIE>ipconfig / all

C:\DOCUME~1\ANGIE>

help me... i'll send chocolate.... :(

11. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

Yeah, I did the same and got the same message.

I haven't got a firewall running either, I disabled the XP one cos it was rubbish and I use AVG virus software.

12. SnoozyBoozy

SnoozyBoozy

Thought...

My computer is old, a few years old. I keep it clean and optimised, it is not overloaded, there is no fancy screen savers or desktop themes etc.. I look after it.

But when this computer was built, broadband and broadband modems were not in existance.

Could it be that the USB ports on the rear of the tower are simply not up to the job, the whole power consumption thing?

Aren't broadband modems usually quite power hungry?

If this is so;

Will a powered USB hub solve the problem by giving the modem a separate power source?

But, the powered USB hub will still plug into the computer tower at the rear and the USB port is still being used for something it was not designed to take (although still being a USB port for a USB connection).

Would really appreciate an answer or a simple 'shut up' if i'm talking utter tosh.

Problem ongoing, BT Broadband for just over a year and now Talk Talk broadband for approx a week... Same problems, just different provider and different modem.

Shall I just buy a new computer??? :rolleyes:

13. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

I think I've solved it! I called the BT Broadband tech line and they suggested I try adjusting my Power Management settings. I did, and so far it seems to have worked. Apparently my PC thought it was ok to switch off the modem to conserve power. This was the case with my USB sockets too.

Try that, SnoozyBoozy. I'll tell you how it's done if you don't know. They took me through it step by step on the tech line.

14. BillC

BillC

You could look at the solution that worked for Sobroken, but I still think your firewall is the problem blocking your DNS & DHCP servers to the Trusted zone. I'm a bit confused.... You said you are using XP. You also said your computer is old. Is is possible you're using another operating system? I know ipconfig is in XP.

You can get ipconfig.exe here:

http://www.computerhope.com/ipconfig.htm

15. SnoozyBoozy

SnoozyBoozy

thinking about it now.. my computer is only about two and a half years old.. that's not that old really is it...

definately running xp but that thingy config thingy didn't work.. i'll try that link and be back soon..

Don't think there's anything in my last post about power consumption then?

And as for DNS & DHCP servers to the Trusted zone... wazzat?? can I take pills for it?? You saying my front room is not a trusted zone?? And ALL my servers/serving plates are china with a tiny gold rim on them, but SURELY they won't affect my computer since they are all (very neatly indeed) stored in my kitchen (which is also a trusted zone - very clean indeed). Mind you, if we're talking servers as in serving spoons, they all came in with a rather nice boxed cutlery set which I bought from ebay and ebay is great most of the time but some people DON'T trust them at all... (I can keep this up allllll day)... PERHAPS i should config my CUTLERY???!!!!! hehehe :D

Enough of this....

Be back soon, I KNOW you can't wait!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice