1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadband?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DDC, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Okay finally, a company has come forth where I live and offered a Wireless Broadband service, I naturally, jumped on it. I haven't got it installed yet but I have a few questions before i actually get it done.

First of all I got a 256k/256k upload/download package... will this be good for gaming? That is what I mostly do. What kind of ping/latency could I expect from this.

When it does get installed the main dish thing will only be about 200 yards from my house, it will send the signal to a dish thing on my roof (or at least that is how i understand it). Will this make it any faster/slower?

I'm just really curious to see what kind of speeds i will get.

Thanks!

2. McTimson

McTimson

If this is satellite internet, do not expect a good gaming experience....dialup will often be better. Satellite internet has a slow packet update rate, which is very bad for fast-paced games, like First Person Shooters, and Strategy games. If you're playing RPG's though, then it will be worth it, because they dont need to have their data updated as frequently.

Your actual downloads will go faster, and website will load quicker, but gaming will be horrible.

3. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

No it's not satelite, satelite has uploads of 56k standards. This is 256k upload, and is wireless broadband from a reciever 200 yards away to a reciever on my house. So how will that be? It's not to a satelite in the sky so it doesn't have the terrible uploads. It's just to the reciever 200 yards away from my house.

4. Morania

Morania

So it's more like a giant cell phone connection right?

5. tsunam

tsunam

Well depends on if its a A B or G setup for the wireless. Since i assume you have to have a wireless card and they'd let you know what it supports. As well hopefully you don't have anything like a tree in the way, cause that will interfere with the signal. So it should be good to ehh :).

6. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

I guess the signal comes from a station that they have set up (200 yards away). That goes to a thing on my roof, which then goes via ethernet cable, to the back of my pc.

The station is also at a high altitude (small town surrounded by mountaints), so there isnt much that can interupt the signal besides a storm.

7. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Also, i think what they have is basically a t1 or t3 line and just using the wireless part to get people the signal from their stations. The best package was 34.99 a month for 256k upload and 256k download.

8. dpvu

dpvu

256k up and down is not bad, but it's certainly not the greatest. It's sort of way better than 56k but not up to par with most broadband services. It will be a pretty good gaming experience though you may get some lag with large games.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice