1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fly440, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

Hi

Is it possible to set another computer up to my broadband connection ,and use both the computers at the same time on the net viewing diffrent pages ,it would stop my daughters arguing about whos turn it is for homework.

Dave

2. coulterp

coulterp

Yes. You need a router to share the connection. Most home routers will be able to share more PCs than you could fit reasonably in your house!
    The argument will simply evolve into "stop using MSN and start doing your homework" (voice of bitter experience!).
    Post a little more info about current ISP and modem and you could get further pointers to appropriate routers. Also www.adslguide.org.uk is a good place to look for hardware reviews, etc.

3. ratchet

ratchet

I had a similar problem, DLink has the solution, with parental controls for a little extra.

The DI-624 is one of many.

4. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

Hi my isp ntl broadband and its the 1 meg version which is pretty fast

5. coulterp

coulterp

USB or Ethernet connected modem?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, my Comcast 4mbit connection is a bit faster. :D

7. coulterp

coulterp

you wouldn't happen to be from Texas by any chance? :D :D

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How did you know??? Did the accent give it away? :D:D:D

9. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

ethernet connection

10. coulterp

coulterp

In that case no problem. There's dozens of routers that will take the ethernet feed from the modem and offer out ethernet ports and/or wireless to your LAN PCs. e.g. From Linksys the Di-624 already cited, from Netgear WGR614, etc, etc.
    All the PCs will need is an Ethernet NIC (most have as standard these days), or a wireless adaptor if you opt for the wireless solution, to be able to connect to the router.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice