Broadband

Mike M

Hi, im going to be getting a broadband connection of 1.5mbps soon and i was wondering whats the maximum is can download in mbps or kbps?

Hulk701

Banned
Ninechat said:
Hi, im going to be getting a broadband connection of 1.5mbps soon and i was wondering whats the maximum is can download in mbps or kbps?
First, 1.5mbps means 1-million-5hundred-thousand megabits per second. You rarely get that much in actual speed but basically it comes down to 185 megabytes per second.

8 bits = 1byte. 1000 kilobytes = 1 megabyte.

That's okay, its what I get with DSL. But its not nearly as fast as what's coming around the corner. Some IPS's, offer 6mbps. :eek:

You also have to consider however that internet traffic will affect your download speed, and so will the speed of the computer sending the information. If it can't send it to you at that speed, you can't receive it at that speed, no matter how fast you are. ;)

Uh guys, I dunno but I have a wireless internet laptop connected to a wireless lynksys router... I have been reading that you said that 6mbps is good. Well on my laptop, it says that I am getting 54.0mbps. is that good? wow. i feel proud.

Hulk701

Banned
54mbps? It sounds real high to me. Are you sure you're reading the meter properly? Isn't is more like 5.4mbps.

I don't think they make 'em that fast... :confused: at least not now.. :(

3fs

The 54MB you're seeing is how fast your connected to your LAN (Local Area Network), NOT how fast your are actually connected to the Internet (WAN).

For example, if you're connected at 54MB or 11MB to a wireless LAN will make no difference for accessing the Internet if your broadband connection is only a 1.5MB.

It's like having 3" pipes all through your house, but the pipe feeding water into your house is only 1/2".

There are other uses for a LAN though, and the higher LAN speeds will help you locally, just not when accessing the internet.

3fs

Hulk701 said:
I don't think they make 'em that fast... :confused: at least not now.. :(
Verizon's FIOS is selling now at speeds up to 30MB or better.

As you can see I'm only a beginner. What use could I have for my WAN

3fs

WAN is a Wide Area Network. In this case, the WAN is the internet.

3fs said:
WAN is a Wide Area Network. In this case, the WAN is the internet.
yeah yeah once again im stumped with computer lingo...

but then why did you say I could do thing with my lan or wan at 54mbps then...

3fs

The LAN is your local network (the computers physically connected together in your house, building, etc.). You can use it for all sorts of things, file sharing, LAN games, etc.

basically it means that, even if you were to unplug your internet connection to the router, you would still have a 54mbps connection to, say, the desktop computer on your network. then you could transfer, say, a music file at 54mbps from one computer to the other. it's the speed that your computer contacts the router at, where as your router contacts (i'm guessing your DSL modem) at 1.5mbps. 3fs's pipe analogy is very good, consdering it's exactly the same thing.. water flow = data flow... the water flows into your home slowly, but it can be transferred from one area of your house to another faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts