1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broadcast wifi with pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chanan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chanan

Chanan Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently I bought a small home server and installed WS2008.
    The old situation looked like this:
    [​IMG]

The server works like a charm, but I haven't been able to change my network the way I would like it to be. The server should be 'the centre' of my home.
    like this:
    [​IMG]
    The server does have a wireless PCI card.

I would like to reduce the load from my (crappy) modem router, it should only work as a modem and stop routing. The modem is connected to my server by a LAN cable and all other devices in my house should be connect to the server via wifi. (except for the printer). That way I can balance the network load and prevent torrents from occupying my complete bandwidth.
    The server should be the router (DHCP server) and I would like it to broadcast a WIFI network.

For the last few days if have seen several solutions but it still isn't clear to me what the best solution is. What are your suggestions?
    Should I be satisfied with Ad-Hoc or try to install some sort of access point software on my server?

Thanks in advance.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Personally I would keep the wireless on your router. To put the wireless on the server you will be adding overhead that I wouldn't think you would want to put on that server.

Regardless of where the wireless is you can change both you laptop and your desktop PC to be wireless and connecting to the WS2008 machine. What you do is turn off DHCP off the router and then you turn on DHCP on the Server and you have all the DHCP provided DNS information point to the DNS of the WS2008 server. (Or you can hardcode it and not rely on DHCP at all). Then in the 2008 you have the DNS forwarder from the WS2008 to your ISP.

If your wanting to do the torrent and bandwidth throtteling on the server then you will have to use some kind of software package to turn your Server into a "router".
    You can do things like - http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_to_turn_your_windows_7_computer_into_a_wireles.php but I am sure they won't allow throttling.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice