1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broke a key on my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taragkd, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taragkd

taragkd Thread Starter

The 'p' key broke off my Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop. I'm currently pasting the p in this message. Is there anyway to fix this. The little metal part underneath broke but the base is okay. Can I do this or will I have to buy a new keyboard and have it installed?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG..
    The laptop has no doubt had some use and if the metal pin from from key to the base is broken..not sure any repair will be strong enough to take the wear and tear of typing..
    Sorry I couldn't offer any helpful suggestion..

3. Darth_Denz

Darth_Denz

is the warranty still active? if not, then there's no other choice but to buy a new one... :(

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Go to Dell.com and put in your s/n and see if you still have a warranty. Dell is very good on backing thier product. If you purchased from them and have a warranty from what I have experienced they stand up.

5. Erronius

Erronius

Even if you're not under warranty, you can get a new keyboard on E-bay or from a reputable place such as Parts-People.com at:
    http://www.parts-people.com/
    for a few dollars and do it yourself. For most Dell laptops it's not hard and there's good documentation at their website. I've done it and I'm as far from a laptop techguy as you can get. Also, it would afford you an opportunity to blow out the dust in the inside which would do you no harm and, possibly, a lot of good. Just be sure to use good quality tools (in your case probably just a philips screwdriver) so you don't don't strip the screws.

As blues_harp28 said, trying to repair the individual key is pretty much out of the question.

Regards,

Erronius

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice