1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broke Friends Old Computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by striper, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. striper

striper Thread Starter

turn on computer and it seems like its working then jumps to win 95 screen,then says missing system file to complete setup "press any key to continue" when you press it shuts off,any help would be appreciated :confused:

2. striper

striper Thread Starter

Is there any way i can hook up a old pc to my xp pro to fix it,if so directions please.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13

there are a number of ways - but to advise you we need more info on the 'old' computer. what OS does it have on it, and can you get into the OS? what ports does it have in the back - any USB's? what about a network card?

4. doggard

doggard

If you mean installing the harddrive from the old PC in the new one than it all depends what problems you are having as to weather this is the best course of action.
    Posting a detailed list of problems along with the hardware and operating systems involved may elicite a better solution to your problem

5. striper

striper Thread Starter

I ran some simple maintenance on his 400 mhz win95 64 ram ,u know scan disk ,clean hard drive, defragmentor.and im not sure but i think he ran windows setup (i didnt even know u could do that) so ne way i didnt work because he doesnt have the original disks that came with the computer.so when he restarted it would begin to load normal with the black screen,numbers words loading,then it will go to the windows 95 screen then immediately it would say setup could not complete because some file was not found(i will be posting the exact file name later when i get it sorry)then press any key to continue if u press a key it would turn off the computer,and if u press nothing a few seconds later it would turn off. So i was hoping with this info if anyone could help or have any suggestions ,i figure we could just reboot system ive done it to my computers before and it worked ,but when we put a win 98 disk in his cdrom it didnt work.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. The exact error message would be helpful.

7. ~Candy~

I see we have two threads for the same problem. Let me merge both threads so we aren't chasing our tails asking the same questions over again.

8. striper

striper Thread Starter

It says missing system file INF

9. ~Candy~

Can you tap the F8 key and get a menu to choose safe mode?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice