1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken Boot record...I think

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lilmiss, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilmiss

lilmiss Thread Starter

Hi all, so here is the deal:

I have a windows 7 machine, but for some reason (failed kubuntu dual boot) it loads grub now from the boot loader. It starts loading grub but then says that the disk cannot be found, because linux is not actually installed. It then load the grub recovery console. From here I cannot get anywhere.

Putting in my windows 7 install disk, tells me that windows 7 does have an installation on the computer, browsing by a live CD also shows me that the drive is all ok.

I used my Helix cd to remove the empty partition where it thought kubuntu was, hoping it would fix the boot record, but it wont work.

Any tips on how to fix the boot record?

2. bbearren

bbearren

Boot the Windows 7 DVD and let it get through its "loading files" thing, then you will eventually get to a menu that offers to fix startup problems (among other things; fix startup is at the top of the list).

It will rebuild your BCD store and get you going again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice