1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken CAT5e connector tab

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobber, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobber

bobber Thread Starter

After running a 25' ethernet cable through and under and back through my floor I managed to break off the little plastic tab that holds it in the back of my pc. Now it pops out with the slightest movement. I know I can rerun a new cable (a real pain) but is there any way of replacing or repairing the connector easily? I searched for some type of connector but it seems that I would have to remove all the wires and attach a new connector.
    Any other alternatives? Thank you.
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no alternative to replacing the connector. If that really scares you, you can buy a female-female RJ-45 adapter and use a short cable to the computer. For the one with the broken tab, just super-glue it into the socket on the adapter.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are some what handy, you can try to re-terminate the damaged end yourself. To me it's not that hard and I do my own terminations all the time. All you need is a crimper and some extra RJ45 male connectors. You just need to figure out the pin out standard the cable is using...either T568A or B. Cut off the broken connector, strip back the outer insulation enough to expose the appropriate length of wire where crimping down on the connector would lock down on the outside jacket of the wire and then crimp the connector.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Clearly, you can crimp a connector on yourself, I assumed he didn't have the tools or the inclination to do so. :)

My solution would be to do just that, but I have a drawer full of connectors and the proper tool. :D

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Just suggesting an option as having to run that length of cable would drive me to learn how to re-terminate the broken end. :D

6. bobber

bobber Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice