1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken cd tray....need replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snakeeyes072, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snakeeyes072

snakeeyes072 Thread Starter

I beleave this is the correct section to put it in...anyway. About a week ago the disk tray in one of my drives was snaped when it was ejected...the drive is ok but i need a replacement piece for it. if anyone can give me a sugestion on where to get a replacement tray i would be very thankful

2. norton850

norton850

Basically you just need an old CD drive for replacement parts. It doesn't even matter if it works. Possibilities include eBay, computer shows etc. If you post the make and model of your drive you may even find that a forum member has one in his/her closet. Most drives are so cheap these days they aren't worth repairing.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The trays are not universal, so you'd need an exact match. With deals on CD-RW and DVD-R/RW drives for peanuts after rebate nowadays, why bother trying to fix that one? As far as CD-ROM drives, I have a bunch of them in my closet from upgrades, for postage I'll send you one! :D

4. 4steve44

4steve44

I agree with johnwill. Optical drives are really affordable. Fixing takes way too much time and may not work when you are done. Get a new one and trash the old one :eek:

5. snakeeyes072

sorry it took so long for me to reply. anyway. i understand what your saying about buying another cd drive. i just need to get it quickly replaced and i was told getting the new drive in there would be easier and quicker then buying a whole new drive......another thing where can i find the type of drive i have?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

There are only CD, CDR, CDRW, DVD, DVDR, DVDRW.
    That is all I know of. Buy whichever one you need.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Who told you that - they are wrong, I've never seen trays for sale although you might be able to order one. New drives are dirt cheap - you can pick up a CD for under $10 and it can be installed within minutes instead of taking your drive appart and getting the tray to go in properly if you can get a tray which isn't that easy.

You can get Everest and look under Storage -> Optical Drives.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

8. JohnWill

There are a very limited number of drives, and they're generally compatible. If you have a CD-ROM with no writing capability, then any other type of drive is generally compatible, since that's the bottom of the heap.

If you have a laptop or some oddball system that has an unusual CD drive, you may have more difficulty. If you have a standard 5.25" form factor optical drive, replacement should be a non-issue.

9. snakeeyes072

Well im going to take you advice and order a new cdrw drive, but before i go any good web sites with deals for cheap drives? And thank you.

10. norton850

norton850

I would suggest a CD-RW DVD-ROM. That will read and write CD's and read (but not write) DVDs. Most of us like newegg.com as a supplier. I just went there to get you a specific recommendation, but the server seems to be down. Make sure you get a drive with a rebate. Total cost after rebate should be $10-20.

11. snakeeyes072

thanks again.

12. snakeeyes072

one more important question before i go. how can i tell the kind of interface my drive has?

13. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Do you have a desktop or a laptop?

14. JohnWill

If you have a standard desktop drive, it's a standard ATAPI drive, the most common on the planet. If not, that's why I suggested that laptops and certain oddball machines have unusual drives. What do you have?

15. Deathblow

Deathblow

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!