1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

broken fan of video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hanz012588, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hanz012588

hanz012588 Thread Starter

can it cause restarts of pc when you have broken fan of your video card??? can it be replaced??? or i nid to buy a new video card??? because when im playing an online game i cant enter the game...when logging is only then the pc restarts??? or is this the memory??

2. mj46

mj46

Yes, the fan can cause problems when it is not working because the GPU is overheating. If you are not experienced in replacing fans on video cards, then I suggest you purchase a new one.

3. hanz012588

can i take this fan to the shop and let it be repaired by them??? im using 128mb of NVidia GeForce 5200, what can u reccomend to be replaced??? help pls this gets me frustrated

4. hanz012588

rather what "video card" series you can replace with the old one =P

5. mj46

mj46

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. brite750

brite750

you can replace the fan, the one on that card is probably just held on by some locking pins similar to what is used on a intel 775 socket hsf, you would have to find one that fits that card remove the old one clean gpu surface with 90% alcohol, apply thermal paste and install new fan, not a big deal its just if you dont do it yourself it would probably cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 for that much you can buy a better brand new card.

8. hanz012588

thnx for the advices...so it means that the cause of my pc restarting is the FAULTY VIDEO CARD right???

9. hanz012588

aside form i scanned it all througout and it went clean with malwares, spywares and viruses...this leads me to just wo suspects,, a hardware and a RAM, but my RAM is brand new...what do you think guys???

10. Rumpel

Rumpel

mj46 said it in Post #2 above. It seems the most probable cause, given the limited information available in this thread -- especially if you'd care to note that the manufacturer wouldn't have put a fan on your video card if it didn't need it.

But if you're looking for a guarantee that that's the only possible cause of your problem, you won't get it. There could be other causes. Flaky memory is one of them.

The only way to know for sure is to either:
    • replace the video card, or
    • replace the fan on your existing card, and hope that it hasn't been damaged by overheating.

11. hanz012588

im trying to doi the options now...

PC specification:

ASUS P5PE-VM
    CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200: i notiuced that in my videocard report the memory is "unknown" what copuld this mean...

AGP is Accelerated Graphics Port Right???
    how can u know if its AGP??? in the report io dont see any AGP

12. Rumpel

Rumpel

Check your motherboard manual for the computer.

Asus' website has this page for its P5PE-VM motherboard: <http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=1276&modelmenu=1>. It shows that mobo as using an 8x AGP card. That's what you need to keep in mind if you're looking for a video card for that motherboard.

(A hint that can save you some time: very often, just googling the model number of whatever you want specs for will give you the page you need. You don't usually need a manufacturer's name -- just the model number will often be enough.)

As for video memory -- buy a video card with as much as you can afford or as little as you need for the use you make of your computer. In general, the more memory, the better the performance. If you're a gamer, that may be important to you.

13. Reetox

Reetox

Have you been playing the game recently or is it a new game your having problems with? It may or may not be the fan but more a hardware issue. I had a similar problem due to the fact my card wasn't up to scratch. It would allow me to run the game but then it would freeze or restart with alot of the newer games so i updated and never looked back.

Research/reviews and comparisions were the key for me my friend, I din't go for top of the line due to finance but still managed to find a well rated card for a good price.

Good luck....

14. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Quote:

" ...this leads me to just wo suspects,, a hardware and a RAM, but my RAM is brand new...what do you think guys??? "

Have you tried putting your old RAM back in to see if this alleviated the problem? And since the fan is broken, it would be wise to replace the card with a new one such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102410

15. onine

onine

The answer to your first question is yes.

You really really need to get a better video card. They aren't that expensive, but if you can't, then you should try getting an aftermarket cooler for your card. Don't spend more than 10-15 dollars though... its not worth it for such a bad video card. no offense. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!