Broken iPhone- How do I transfer my phone data?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ashalhoub

Hello,

I have an iPhone X. Yesterday, I dropped my phone on pavement, and the lights in the screen have broken. It looks like a bright white/light green light and vertical bars appear. These bars cover the majority of the phone, so it is basically unusable. The touchscreen seems to work, but it is near impossible to read the screen. It had a glass screen protector and a case on when it dropped, so the glass on the phone did not break. I am going to try and get the phone fixed/replaced soon.

In the meantime, I am left without a phone. A family member has given me their old iPhone X to use. However, this phone is still linked with the person’s phone number and Apple ID, so all data on the phone is there. I want to transfer my data and phone number to this phone, but I am unsure how to do that. I also do not want to risk wiping or ruining the data on the family member’s current phone during this transfer. Also, how can I backup my broken device to transfer it if I can‘t use the screen? I am unsure if my broken phone has iCloud backup, and if it has recently been backed up.

Please advise. I appreciate your help.

You need to take both to the nearest Apple store and explain what you are trying to do. If anyone would know how to do it, they certainly should.

Couriant

James
You may be able to do a backup with iTunes to transfer to a new phone. If you don’t have apple care then the price to fix it is close to a new one.

TerryNet

Terry
Backup the loaned phone (if the owner did not already do so) to the owner's account then restore it from your backup. And then it can be restored to the original contents when the the loan is ended.

EDIT: consult the user guide for exact steps to change accounts, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online