Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

broken laptop screen, external monitor black screen

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  emitweaks 
#1 ·
Hi,

A disclaimer before I proceed. Im not the best with computers or computer terms.
I have a Samsung laptop (not sure of the model), and the screen broke months ago. Since then I've been using an external monitor without any issues until today. When I start up my laptop I can never see anything displayed on the external monitor until the log in screen. The monitor will always go into hibernation mode until the log in screen.

However, today it's taking longer to start up and I cant see what's going on. At first I thought windows was performing a disk scan but i waited over an hour! So that must not be the issue. I want to find a way to display what is happening on the external monitor if possible. I have been endlessly searching all day online for help. I would really appreciate any help/advice.

Thank you!

#2 ·
I've been having a similar issue:

I have a Compaq 610 laptop, the screen broke months ago as well, and now, I believe, somehow the keyboard has also stopped working (could it have been from my first slamming into it the last time I used it?? Oops..). Haven't touched it in about five months, desperately needing it lately so I attempted to plug her in to one of my external monitors (tried all three and none work) and have no signal to the monitors. They acknowledge that it is connected but it's as if I keyed "Fn - f5" to switch the display back to the laptop from the external monitor in which I cannot correct due to the keyboard malfunction. I have two external keyboard, one is for a desktop the other a cheapish wireless from Logitech. The "Fn" key combination has never worked with that wireless keyboard on this laptop so when I plugged it in I was not too disappointed when it didn't work. The other keyboard I need an adaptor for (6(or 7?) prong standard keyboard female to USB male), in which I will be looking for this adaptor later today at the local thrift stores/RadioShack if I find the time. Until then though, if like to make sure I do not waste my time if anyone has seen this before..

If my theory is correct and it is indeed a broken keyboard on the laptop and I had turned off the ext display upon its last use prior to my poorly managed anger.. then simply plugging in a keyboard with working/compatible function keys to allow to switch the displays again should solve it, correct?? What if I had taken her apart to ensure whether or not I had destroyed some kind of component inside/on the motherboard and removed the "watch" battery (looked like a typical C2025) and immediately put it back in (I was informed on a different site that this would clear the BIOS and cause the computer to default to the external display upon a hard reset - either I did it wrong or it just simply was not the solution..)?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

And to the O.P. my apologies for not having any information to help you, though I did not want to start a new thread for the same relative issue, this is my advice: I would try turning it on with the external plugged in already and using Fn - f10 (or whichever function key it is for yours) to switch display outputs. There should be a tiny image that looks like a monitor/display screen on the top row of function keys (f1-f12) on the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.