1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken Laptop Screen - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluetaboo, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluetaboo

bluetaboo Thread Starter

Ok Im not sure where to start really but if anyone could help me i would be very greatful :)

i dropped my laptop ( ACER Aspire 5633WLMi, Aspire 5630 ) and now the screen is broken, half of it has gone black and cracked and im not sure how to fix this.
    any advice / tips etc anyone?

Many Thanks,
    Blue ;) x

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Blue, and welcome to TSG.

The display screen is replaceable. It can be a do-it-yourself project if you have some basic tools and don't have a problem with taking the computer apart and, more importantly, putting it back together correctly. A Google search for the computer model number and the word screen should find someone selling them.

3. Knotbored

Knotbored

If nothing is shorting out then get a cheap (or free) standard monitor and use it as a desktop PC until you get repair parts. Nearly all laptops allow for plugging one in.

4. sflwebguy

sflwebguy

The same thing happen to my Acer notebook I got my screen from Ebay turns out the guy has a store in NY was only 40 dollars. Extremely easy to replace.

5. jp1203

jp1203

Sadly to say, the LCD is the most expensive part of most laptops, and even if you do it yourself, you may not find a replacement for less than 200 dollars.

A good bet is to find someone selling the same or nearly the same laptop with, say, a dead motherboard but a good screen. Otherwise, as sflwebguy said, E-Bay can be helpful--just pay attention to seller ratings!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check eBay, many times you can find spare parts there.

If you can't find the screen for a good price, I'd be looking into a replacement laptop, you can have a pretty nice laptop for $500.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice