Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Laptop Screen

500 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  texasbullet 
#1 ·
Hi, I just made one of the clumiest mistake in my life. I recently dropped my 4 year old Dell Inspiron 15r onto the floor and now the screen is cracked, inside I think. I can turn it on but, I can't make out anything. What do I do? Is it cheaper to get a new laptop or get it fixed? If so any cheap, reliable places i could get it fixed? I'm not a really diy or tech savvy kind of person...please help.

#2 ·
It could be quite expensive if you can't fit a new screen yourself, most of the charge will be for labour.
Please post the service tag (should be on the bottom) in your next reply then we can find the exact laptop you have and help you more easily.

#3 ·
It would be much cheaper to replace the screen. There are several tutorials on youtube on how to do it. If you are afraid to do it, take it to a tech to be repaired. Make sure he gives you an enstimate on how much he will charge you to get it fixed. If the repair costs more than your computer I would just suggest to buy a refurbished one.

Remember: He will be charging you for the parts plus labor fees.

#4 ·
Replacing the LCD in most laptops ought to be reasonably inexpensive (15 inch LCD's are $40 U.S. on EBay); but, the BIG question is if anything else got hurt when you dropped it.
Are plastics broken, too?
Is the hard disk drive OK? (You definitely exceeded its shock limits)
Get the free trial of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro version and do an error scan on that drive. Even one red box spells impending doom.
Can you connect an external monitor so you can do it on the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.