1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken Links Win2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Popeyedice, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Popeyedice

Popeyedice Thread Starter

Not sure what actually happened, I was removing the new virus (??automat??, swen?) and when norton corporate quarantined the file, no file links work anymore...
    Example:
    can't load any programs in the "program files" directory
    can't view properties of the "My Computer" icon
    It says it can't find the file, but I can see it. When I try to view the properties of "My Computer" I get "Access to the file, path, is denied."
    Winmgmts.exe is using all processor resources...
    Did it delete something on it's way out?? Registry??
    Thanks in Advance

2. MastiffShack

MastiffShack

What version of Norton are you using? Current virus patterns?

Older versions of Norton (2002 specifically) seem to have a number of issues when running on XP.

It does sound like your virus(?); worm(?) damages some areas of your registry.

Have you attempted to sign on with Administrator user id and password?

For example, user ids without Admin or Power User authority usually can't get to the "My Computer" properties - specifically "Hardware". The same issues arise for "missing files"; and denial of access.

It almost sounds like it scrambled your profile, and the links it maintains between "you" and your files.

3. Popeyedice

I am using the administrator. It does SOUND like it scrambled something eh? What I don't know is, where are these links... and how do I fix it.

4. Popeyedice

Oh, it's Norton corporate, running on 2000

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice