1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

broken MP4 video thumbnails

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NateTmi, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NateTmi

NateTmi Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nathan
    windows 7 & Windows Media Player. With the settings I have,
    all .3gp & .avi video files show a normal thumbnail image from part of the video as the file icon, so I don't need to only go by the title to see what the video is.
    Yet .mp4 videos don't have this, yet they still open in win media player when I double click.
    The icon of .mp4 files is not even the win media player logo, it seems to be the icon of a program I removed.

Most files have an "open with" on the left click menu & in that tab there is "choose default program", but if I click that I get an error box that reads "This file dose not have a program associated with it..."
    So I can't pick a default program for any file, unless I go to the default programs list in Control panel, programs.
    I did try using that list & finding .mp4 to change the default program & when I click to change MixPad is blue as if it was selected as default & if I pick win media player from that list of programs & hit ok, I still have the same problem of no thumbnail image preview, & the icon will not even change.

I installed a set of music editors including MixPad & wavePad.... but after trying them only MixPad was useful to me as it lets me mix or overlay files into one. What I don't get is why this is getting linked to video files when it is a program for mixing music. Maybe the set of editors had a video editor that was not fully installed or that I removed, as I have been looking for a better video editor. The install of MixPad was a menu where I could pick form a list of program they make & after installing most of them I just removed/uninstall the stuff I will never use & left MixPad. I am still using this program so I don't want to remove it, & don't even know if that would help. I do see that MixPad has under add file a list of .mp3, .wav, & so on & .mp4 is in this list, but I see no way to remove it from that list, as it is just a list of supported file types.

1. How did the .mp4 setting get changed & or how to I change it to the same as .avi & .3gp ?
    2. Is there a way to fix the "choose default program" so it will show of list of programs & not an error box?

Untitled.png This is the icon of all .mp4 files & some other video file types, like .aac, .mov, .wma & more (I don't want to make a full list)
    Maybe there is some left over part of this program on my PC? idk
    All my videos are saved in .mp4 or .avi so I don't really care to fix file types that I don't ever save videos as.
    I don't want to convert my video collection as this would change the quality of the videos & it is alot of work too + I have found an mp4 video editor by Apowersoft, but I am looking for something better.
    3. if I keep looking, Can I use windows restore points as a way to undo file association changes?

Sorry if that is a long explanation of my 2 problems with video file associations

2. Lanctus

Lanctus

Click the Start button, and type default app. That should bring up an option called Default App Settings. Click that, and you should see Video Player, with the ability to click that and get a list of appropriate apps to choose to run it.

That option aside, if you scroll down on that page you should see Choose default apps by file type (or something similar). Click that, and you can scroll down to .mp4 and click the option in the right column. This will also open a list of available options you currently have to run that file type.

3. NateTmi

NateTmi Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nathan
    +Lanctus I don't see "default app" in that list, in the search you ask for. At the top is, default programs & under that is "set your default programs" & in that is a list of programs to set as default, ie I remember this window & it is how I made fire fox my default program for html related files. So in this window I do see win media player & so I will try clicking "set this program as default" but first I see "choose default for this program" so I can get a list of what files will be effected. I do see 107 of 110 files selected as default under win media player.
    From that list it looks like .mp4 is selected as default to open in win media player.
    Some how .avi is not checked & it is working fine B4 I try this, but I will try it any way.
    Set as default has been clicked & yup now my .avi files don't have a default open but the icon is still a preview like I want & windows media player is in the left click menu but not set as default, nothing is set as default, but I have fixed this B4 I can add a new tag to that menu with a program I have "Default Programs Editor"
    Now .mp4 files still look the same & still have "open" not "play" in the left click list.
    The icon for .mp4 is still the same & not a preview or in any way related to windows media player.
    Even my music now has a broken play in the left click menu I see the play in window media player & the icon is right but when I double click to open them I get the same error box from B4, so now I need to fix .mp3 again.
    The only one I can't fix is .mp4 files. All the other files seem to get fixed when I go to "default programs" in control panel & pick "make a file type always open in a program" Then find each file type & click to change it to windows media player.
    Yet this fix will somehow not work on .mp4 files. They still keep the same icon from some mystery program but have "open" set as default that makes them open in win media player.
    The working files have "play" in the left click menu.

This also has no effect on my second problem. Is there a listing I should see named "default app" & where is this file, because I don't see it, but I did try a few things close to what you suggested & learn a bit more.

Sorry still having the same problem. Picking windows media player as default makes more problems in .avi & .mp3 files that I can fix but will not fix the problem I have with .mp4 files

4. NateTmi

NateTmi Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nathan
    starting to wonder if it would help for me to make a video of my problems with screen capture, but that might be alot of work.

5. Lanctus

Lanctus

6. NateTmi

NateTmi Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nathan
    Thank you. This looks like it could lead me to fixing the problems. I really do think part of the codec could have been removed or something like that. I would also love some alternative media players that offer video preview icons & not just the logo of the program. Yet regardless of my problem a different media player might be better for me & I will not know until I test some.

Lanctus likes this.
  7. NateTmi

NateTmi Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nathan
    I am having problems downloading & keeping that first file, windows 7 code pack
    is that a safe ver of the code pack? my virus protection blocks the download & auto deletes the file if I let it download. I will save the link but I wonder if I should look for an alternative download for that code pack. It might be just what I need but I don't trust the download just yet. Might need to check for it online & see where else I could download it. To be safe I will use it last. Thanks for the suggestions regardless.

8. Lanctus

Lanctus

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice