Broken operating system? I think. Urgent.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kyliexD

Here's the deal,
My desktop acer aspire doesn't have a wireless adapter so I've had to use my laptop to access the internet and just use an ethernet cable to connect the two. It's been that way for about a year now, and it's worked perfect until yesterday. Where it felt like every website was crashing. It would load youtube and facebook after about 5 minutes, and then they both just went off and nothing would come back on. I could still access skype and steam and talk to people but that's it; nothing else. Oh and I can still access everything on my laptop like facebook and youtube. So it's not my router or anything.

Since then, I've completed a factory reset and nothing's changed, it still wont let me on the internet, and now my resolution is messed up. When I try to change my resolution it's giving me the wrong resolutions for my screen. But I'm assuming that gets fixed when I download updates from the internet.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone knows how to fix this at all? Or if anyone could help me fix it.

TerryNet

Terry
A "factory reset" should include all needed drivers, but it sounds like this is not the case. Do you have warnings or errors in Device Manager? If so, you need to download and install the needed drivers, beginning with the chipset.

So it sounds like your using ICS on your laptop to get internet to your desktop? You mentioned that some apps still work but the internet doesn't. You may try to temporarily disable the Windows firewall (on both systems) just to narrow down the issue.

Mike

So it sounds like your using ICS on your laptop to get internet to your desktop?
Or a cross over cable?

Anyway, back to the problem presented.

kyliexD:
Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.
Which Acer Laptop?

Running the Forum's Sys Info tool will be useful.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Probably not a complete internet meltdown if you can use Skype; more possibly a browser [ internet explorer, for example ] issue.

Would you describe yourself as a beginnng, intermediate or advanced computer user/

Open Notepad
start > programs / all programs > accessories > notepad

start > programs / all programs > accessories
RIGHT click "command prompt"
Left click "run as administrator"
type: cd\
press enter
type: ipconfig /all
enter

RIGHT click the title bar
Left click "edit"
Left click "select all"
After the screen turns white

RIGHT click the title bar
Left click "edit"
Left click "copy"

Go to notepad
Left click edit
Left click paste

Return to this thread
In notepad, select the text, copy it
Paste it into a reply

RF123

If he is getting Skype, and my guess, he must have a local IP address of 192.168.x.x/24. And since he says nothing changed. I am not sure if Skype chat requires DNS to work.

What you could try is

Left Click on the LAN Connection Icon, if i am not mistaken on the bottom right corner.

Open Network and...

Change Adapter setting,

(I think you will be good enough to recognize which interface is yours :) )

Then Right Click -> Properties.

TCP IP v4 Double Clisck.

Use the following DNS Server Address.

or
or

Usually your DG which in your case is your router acts as DNS, sometime some stations might not be recognizing the DNS, in which case you could use 4.2.2.2 ..

But i agree, it look more S/W based that N/W based problem.

Thanks
NT2IE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.