1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken PC - need help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crashed_2002, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crashed_2002

Crashed_2002 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a technical issue here and i was hoping you kind chaps could help me out...

Basically, my sister was playing on my pc and she said it froze and it wouldn't shut down. I told her "Ctrl, ALt and Delete" and if that failed turn it off at the front. She said that didn't work, so i told her to turn it off at the plug (this had happend to me a few times). But she never turned it off at the plug, she pulled the power cable out the back (when it was switched on) and then plugged it back in!!

Now when i switch on my pc, the monitor reads "no signal". It's not making all the usual start up noises either, i can hear the fan spinning but it doesn't sound right. I haven't had time to take the lid off of it and have a snoop about (not that I'm especially good with P.C anyways) but i think something inside has blown - just not sure what.

Without having a look at it yourself, has anyone got any ideas what's wrong with it, what's more there likely blown etc?

I'm so pissed off at the moment. I'm going on holiday on Saturday and cant afford to spunk money on PC bits!!

Thanks in advace.

James.

2. byon

byon

problem in the hardware context..
    It could be a System Instability caused by hardware conflicts, malfunction or flunctuations.

Prior causes
    1) Power Supply
    2) Motherboard
    3) RAM
    4) CPU (too hot due to cpufan not being able to start up)
    5) All of the above was destroyed by power supply.

3. Crashed_2002

Doesn't sound too good then :(

Do you think i'm definately going to have to replace parts?? is there any other probable fault??

I'm really hoping it's just the power supply... i don't like the sound of having to replace cpu, motherboard and RAM.
    :( :(

4. byon

byon

Since you are not especially good at PCs, i recommend you to bring the PC down to any Computer Hardware shops to give let them perform thorough checks on your system components. It'll be great if you have a friend to help you on this.

Theres a 50 50 chance your power supply does not die with your other internal peripheral friends. Depending on how long you've been using it, and various other factors.

5. Crashed_2002

I'm not going to a computer shop, they're a rip off :p

I've got quite a few friends who are pretty good with computers, so i'll get them to have a look for me. I'm not going to see them for a few days so i was hoping it may be a minor fault which i could fix myself.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Crashed_2002...

If she unplugged it then immediately, plugged it back in, try unplugging it for about 20-30 min. ( I'm thinking that the PSU didn't have time to discharge ), it that doesn't work first thing I would look at is the PSU...

Or you can try resetting the CMOS, ( should be a jumper on the motherboard, or you can remove the battery, looks like a big watch battery for 20-30 min. )...

7. Spyd

Spyd

Try this first: Unplug the computer, press the on button, and then replug the cable and press the on buton again.

If not, try whay Jedi Master says.

If this fails too, the most likely is that you have a dead power supply.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since it shoulds like she 'ripped' the cord out of the back, I'd check the video card to be sure she didn't shake it loose....If it's loose, you'll get no beeps and of course, no video.....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice