broken power button

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mjmterp

New member here just curious as to what to do about a broken power button. It was pushed normally to start up my computer and it broke! meaning: it sunk into the computer tower and cannot be retrieved. Hence, the computer will not start up and i am WITHOUT email/IM!!! NOT GOOD for a college student. So, if "tech guy" can be of any assistance to me whatsoever, I would surely appreciate it!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi mjmterp, welcome to TSG.

You are going to have to open the computer and turn it on manually. Perhaps it can be re-adjusted, there are some tiny screws holding it to the front of the case.....or perhaps you can put some small piece of paper behind the button itself, so that it can still make contact......Sounds like Compaq/Packard Bell computer to me..... maybe :rolleyes:

On some PCs you can use the keyboard to power on the PC. Check your PC manual or the manufacture's web site for BIOS/SETUP options. Good luck.

mjmterp

Thanks for your help guys. I have a stubborn Gateway and the face of the tower will not budge. even after taking apart both sides and working with it. So, i just decided to forget about fixing it and just make due with sticking a long, slender object in the empty hole and pressing the smaller black power button inside the tower. Thanks again!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Gateway, huh.....I think there should be some screws right behind the faceplate on both sides, holding it to the metal case.

mjmterp

ok. well me and computer savvy friend attempted to do just that and DID get the screws off, but , oh gosh, how to describe it, it has little curved claws that keep the face in place, and THAT is what is making it impossible to remove. difficult to explain, but just looks impossible to remove.. hey.. i'm just gonna deal with pressing the little button inside.. its relatively accessible and hell, it turns on my computer. THANKS for alllll your help and advice!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online