1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken Sata HDD.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hillian, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

I had a Maxtor 160GB hdd and ive been recently having problem with it....I keep getting the BSOD and I tihnk im misisng a system file....so I unseated my memory and cpu and what not and then reseated it again....while I was reseating the cpu heatsink, the plastic bracket for the heatsink to be held down, broke and I cant find anywhere at all to buy jsut the bracket...so I ordered a new motherboard(its not in yet though), so if that wasnt enough of a hassle already, I unplugged my sata hdd ya know, because I was gunna take it to my friends and try to boot it using his pc since he has sata, and when I unplugged the sata cable, the little L shaped plastic piece that surrounds the gold pins broke off....I dont know if I can glue it back on or what...I really need to get some stuff off that hdd that is really important, but now with it having the borken piece the cable dont stay in, and even if it did, id still ahve my booting problem with the BSOD!!! Anyone have any suggestions, because Im pretty bummed...?

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

You could install an OS on the 250G Sata or run a Linux OS on either drive or from a cd/dvd to rescue files you need.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did the pins break off on the motherboard or on the drive.

Since it sounds like it's on the drive, I'm not sure how getting a new one will help you get the data off the old one. It sounds like you at least did the right thing by trying to connect it to another computer to copy any files off but the connections broke. One thing that is much weaker on those drives.

4. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

I have XP Pro on all three hdd's....the bracket that surrounds the cpu on the mobo is what broke(the bracket the heatsink attaches to)....ands as for Daddy's suggestion, I dotn understand what you mean...reread what I typed and see if it makes sense...basically one of my 160GB hdd gives me BSOD and i went to take it outta the pc and the plastic part broke, so now i ahve a broekn bracket on the mobo and i ahve a broken piece of my sata hdd...im gunna try to take pics and upload them to show you what i mean...

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Likely there is so much wrong with the motherboard it needs to be replaced.

It's also likely going to be a bit involved to try and repair the broken connection on the hard drive. It's not like you can often glue things back together to repair electronic connections.

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I thought the end of the SATA cable broke and that is easily replaced. However if the connector on the harddrive broke you may have a problem.

OTOH, if you have an operating system on another harddrive, can get the connector to stay in place on the hdd, you should be able to read the drive by booting from another drive and copy anything you want from the drive .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice