Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken screen laptop hooked up to external monitor help

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  minusblindfold 
#1 ·
I hooked up my broken screen toshiba XP laptop to a external monitor with a VGA. I removed the laptop screen driver, and installed the new monitors drivers and was able to change the resloution to reasonable size. It worked great, for a day. Now the screen only shows the windows start up logo and then turns black. I know the computer is still running because i can still log into my accont when I guess the right buttons. HOW CAN I MAKE THIS WORK? thanks much.

#2 ·
Hi minusblindfold, and welcome to TSG.

Does your laptop have a function key for toggling between the built-in and external displays? If so, does using it let you use the external monitor?

Are you able to get the external monitor to work if you boot up in safe mode?

#3 ·
I don't know if I have a Toggling button. I know when I press F8, a list of options comes up. I've tried clicking enable VGA mode, but no luck. When I run safe mode the only thing that happens is a list of drivers comes up, but it does come up on the external monitor
list of options by the way:
safe mode
safe mode w.networking
safe mode w.command prot
enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last know good configureation
dirctory service restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on faliure
start windows normally
reboot
return to OS choices menu

#4 ·
I don't know if I have a Toggling button.
If the function is available, it should be described in the laptop's user manual. You can also look on the key markings to see if any of them have a symbol that looks like a monitor screen

When I run safe mode the only thing that happens is a list of drivers comes up, but it does come up on the external monitor
I think you are describing the Windows boot up process that lists all of drivers and other files as they are being loaded. Does the Windows desktop ever appear or does the computer just stop, showing the last driver to load?

#6 ·
Usually the Key Combo of Fn+F5 is required to toggle between the Laptop Screen and the External Monitor. Give that a try.

#7 ·
I don't have a Toshiba laptop to check this out but from what I have read on line, you may need to hold down an "Fn" key while pressing the F5 key to toggle the video modes.

I am starting to suspect that removing the built-in screen driver and replacing it with a driver for the external monitor may be the cause of the problem and don't know how to reverse it.

EDIT: Hi dustyjay, it looks like I didn't refresh the page before writing my reply and missed your post about the Fn key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.