broken SSD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jc224

It all started when I found an old SSD/HDD adapter.
I put the RealSSD C400 2.5 128GB in and turned the adapter on. It kept saying "you need to format (drive letter)". Knowing this wasn't the best adapter, I tried a few more times until I finally got Windows Explorer to open and get to the Users folder. Then all of a sudden, the hard drive was out. Thinking it was just as easy as putting the drive back in, I did so. Nothing happened. I knew this was a common problem with this specific adapter so I tried many, many more times. Still nothing. Getting worried, I looked around for another adapter. I find a USB 3.1 enclosure for SATA. I put the SSD in and... nothing. Now I was very worried. I look in Disk Management. Under Drive 1, it says that the drive is not initialized and offline. I try to reinitialize GPT/MBR. "The device is busy." I try various recovery programs. Recuva, etc. The only one that even sees the drive is Recuva which says "Unable to determine file system type."
I try the hard drive in linux. I check in the /dev folder to find devices. 3 are listed. sda, sda1, and sdb. I try to mount all of them. The first 2 are already mounted. The third one has a superblock error. I figured out sdb was the drive. fdisk -l did not show sdb. I was now sure that it was the drive. I tried ddrescue. It finishes immediately without doing anything (yes, I used the right parameters).
There is no visible damage at all to the SSD. After doing some googling, it seems that this is not an uncommon problem.
Edit: I tried to do the power cycle method: put the drive in, leave the computer in bios for 30 minutes, turn it off for 30 seconds, leave the computer in bios for 30 more minutes, wait 30 seconds again. Nothing happened.
What do I do now? Try the Power Cycle again? Or should I put it in the fridge? Firmware update (Firmware Rev: 0809 is written on the drive)? Do you think it's just 100% bricked? Please help. I have some old files on there I'd like to have back.

Last edited:
Okay. Be careful though. One of the biggest problems Ontrack faces when trying to recover data is due to other's failed attempts.

Tip: If your data is important, do yourself a favor and get into the habit of doing at least monthly backups. It'll save you a lot of grief/hair. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

jc224

Okay. Be careful though. One of the biggest problems Ontrack faces when trying to recover data is due to other's failed attempts.

Tip: If your data is important, do yourself a favor and get into the habit of doing at least monthly backups. It'll save you a lot of grief/hair. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Yeah, I'll try not to write to the disk :) I'll make sure to check Ontrack out if I choose to send the drive away.
Congratulations on 3,000 messages!

jc224

Yeah :(

I can't edit the post anymore so I'll put it here: So far I've only tried the BIOS power cycle method (power + data connected but drive stays in bios) and I'm not even sure the drive was fully connected. I am going to try again with a new adapter that has a power plug and a USB plug, and leave the USB out.

Accidently "letting the smopke out" means to burn out an electrical device ... often with a a puff of stinky smoke that wafts away, letting you know that it is now and forever dead/cooked/bricked.

Also known as "Ruh roh, you've done it now. You've let magic smoke out!". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online