1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Broken StartMenu On Vista x64 SP1 Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Snooza, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snooza

Snooza Thread Starter

Hi People,
    I'm new here so take it easy on me...I have a problem which i cant access the start menu, when i click on it nothing happens and even when i right click on it there are 3 blanks lines, one of the is properties but when i click on it nothing happens i tried many things but i cant fix it, can anyone on here help me out please this started after i installed the service pack 1 for Vista x64, before i installed the SP1 it was working perfect and now this.

Here's a screen shot guys:
    [​IMG]

If anyone got knowledge about this problem care to help me out please.

Thanks.

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. Snooza

Snooza Thread Starter

yes i've tried that already i can get into safe mode but i'm unable to click on the startmenu button nothing happens still.

ive done i complete backup already and this is the second time this has happened when i install the SP1 for vista x64 or any new updates.

any other ideas guys??

4. unbidden

unbidden

Sorry to be redundant; I'm trying to cover all bases.

Did you use Windows Update to install sp1 or did you use the full 400 meg stand-alone installation?

Did you try System Restore using the DVD?

5. Snooza

Snooza Thread Starter

no i didn't use the windows update because it didn't show up i downloaded it from the MS website

yeah i tried a system restore using the DVD it works but when i install the SP1 again the same thing happens

6. unbidden

unbidden

Most likely, there is the problem. You are better off using Win Updates. The WU site will recognize what is needed 'prior' to installing sp1 (prerequisite). This is why some users have yet to see sp1 available via Win Updates; because there are some driver issues that first need to be resolved.

Review here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968895.aspx

7. Snooza

Snooza Thread Starter

Hey Guys thanks for the help but I figured it out how to install the SP1 without getting the problem...I had I App tool from MS couple days ago and i just remembered about it today i installed it, done a few tweaks on the OS, installed SP1 again then changed 3 files within the system32 directory and now its working perfecting for now anyway, but thanks for the try guys, Bless!

Peace Out Guys!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice