Broken System REG?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Onalinux

Hi there, I just updated my XP and when it rebooted, I got an error message saying 0x80004005, Also, I have seem to lost my Windows XP CD.

I updated with the Genuine Advantage tool and errors started popping up. I'm not sure what to do now. I googled and It said something about a corrupt registry. Help, please.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
It will help if you post back complete and exact error messages.

Tx

Onalinux

Okay, when I boot up and I login, the error box says "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005"

And then I'm taken to the login screen.

seo

Have you validated your Windows Operating System? First do that...

Then install a registry cleaner software and scan your PC.

This fixes all your registry problems.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"O": Please do NOT use a registry cleaner! They are very apt to cause problems rather than provide solutions. [See below.] I have Googled, too, and I believe I may have found a link for you. I will be back.

Right now I just wanted to warn you about cleaning the Registry.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts