1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brother MFC 7820n wont copy, scan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nealcook, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nealcook

nealcook Thread Starter

Interesting problem, my MFC 7820n suddenly decided that it would take 10 minutes to scan a black and white page in 100 dpi resolution where it used to only take 10 seconds. Also, when trying to make a copy, it takes an absurd long time and then only copys 3/4 of the page.

If I unplug the network cable, the copy function works perfectly. If I send documents to print, no problem. So it would seem that the network function of the scanner is messing with the copy function??? Any ideas on how to remedy this? I've talked with Brother support for 1.5 hours, they say take it to a repair person. The network settings are set correctly (per Brother) and so I don't know what to do next.

Operating system is Windows XP Home, but I doubt that it matters since when the network plug is pulled it copies fine.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess is that the nic port on the printer died. From what I can tell, that printer is 6yrs old. Nothing lasts forever and the price of MF printers is pretty cheap now. I just bought an epson top of the line MF printer, scanner, fax that works perfectly for all of $179 at the egg.

Getting yours repaired is going to cost at least that much IF you can get repair parts.

3. nealcook

nealcook Thread Starter

I took the unit home and hooked it up to my home network, set the IP address accordingly, and it works fine. I'm taking my home unit (also a 7820n) back to the office to see if it works. My suspicion now is that someone changed something on the office network while I was away. I did notice the IP on my computer had changed from 192.168.20.250 to 192.168.1.250. I'll keep you posted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice