1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brother Printer DCP 7065DN printer driver won't install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by holymoly, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit version and the install of the Brother DCP 7065DN is causing me grief.

The copy and scan functions are operable, but not the printer function.

I am logged in as Administrator in Vista.

Printing a test page returns an "access is denied" message.

So I try to open as administrator and trying the Print test page, returns message "Printer not installed"

I have tried the XP compatibility mode as well as XP and Win7 printer drivers but no success.

I have had no problem installed the printer on another hard drive with Win 7

Brother says my Vista is corrupted and contact support.microsoft.com . How nice, Doing a web search, it seems that Brother definitely has compatibility issues with Vista judging on all the posts. Unfortunately I see few solutions.

Any takers out there?

2. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Now the other printer installed in Vista won't print either.

Trying to do a test page print returns an error.

I downloaded and restalled the printer software and driver and it is in error mode when I try a test print.

It is a HP Color Laserjet 3600n .

3. bbjester

bbjester

holymoly, uninstall the HP drivers and run this tool ccleaner to clean the registry (be sure to let it back up the registry when it prompts you just in case). Then run the uninstall tool from Brother to uninstall its drivers download that from here brother uninstall tool after you can run ccleaner again if you like just in case the brother uninstall tool missed something. Afterwards re-install your printer drivers as per the vendors instructions making sure to install the Brother's drivers first. Lastly post back here and let me know what happens and we can troubleshoot from there if there are still any issues.

See Ya @ Hartmann Chat (you might know me there as brett.iso)

4. HCD

HCD

Beware a guy who joins 6 years ago, lives in a hole and has only 4 posts...The Brother uninstallation tool is useful but CCleaner registry clean is unlikely to resolve situation....
    Sort out existing Brother installation

5. bbjester

bbjester

HCD, was just going by the instructions from the Brother website. I actually know holymoly from another place btw. As far as ccleaner goes, well that is debatable but will not hurt. Why not post something useful if you know so much rather than be critical of my post. I didn't notice any helpful information in your comment beyond telling him to beware of me! As a full time linux user I do not frequent this place if you must know. Thanks for your help!

6. HCD

HCD

Appreciate bbjester's comments...but am only Intermediate in experience, not Einstein! Message to bbjester "Sorry!"

However:-
    1. Double check that your Windows 7 updates are up to date. SP1 etc
    2..Try checking that the language setting for driver is not an issue...bizarre but does happen
    3. Have you checked out Brother page with all possible scenarios? Click here

Let us know if this helps!

7. bbjester

bbjester

I never did ask him but he may just want to run the new hardware detection wizard first. Or check the entries in the device manager and see if the devices are even enabled. But I bet a re-install and removing all the crap left behind and then re-installing may be in order here. I also smell a conflict of drivers hence my recommendation of re-installing the Brother's drivers first. I'd be willing to bet HP writes better drivers and they may be more respectful of the things done by previous driver installs from other sources. If anyone else has some other ideas feel free to chime in.

8. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I spent an hour with a Brother tech and it definitely is a bug within Vista.

Had previous Vista problem and MS sent a repair disk.

May need to do run that.

The HP cannot print as well. Will try CC.

9. bbjester

bbjester

holymoly, just beware that the repair disc from Microsoft would be considered the "nuclear option." Re-installing Windows is what those discs usually do best, so be careful and back up any important data first. I know you could try running those supposed tools from the disc they send you without re-installing Windows. However, I have rarely found those to be a panacea. Doing a fresh install of windows, applying all windows updates, and re-installing your drivers might be a smart move though. If you go that route this tool might be a time saver for you when you're ready to re-install all your software http://ninite.com/ just choose what you want and let it do the rest. Install your drivers first though, and then your other programs. Good Luck, and keep me updated on our progress.

10. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

brett.iso, I just woke up and remember the issues I had last time and it was an installer problem.

Believe its the same now. Can't even re-install the other HP printer.

I don't have a Window Vista disk, they don;t even give you one anyone when you purchase, and last problem the repair disk was sent and fixed the issues.

But it was a big pain in the butt, reinstalling all the software if I remember, the bookmarks in browsers etc.

Thanks for the heads up

11. bbjester

bbjester

Many times now days they ship computers with a rescue partition and it is your job to burn a recovery disc set to cd/dvd. You should really look into that, otherwise someday you may wind up shelling out money for a new copy of Windows. Most manufacturers provide a tool and instructions for doing so, check your owners manual or contact the manufacturer. Hopefully you have not nuked your rescue partition at some point... that would be bad. You can use the rescue partition to re-install without buning a cd/dvd set but that only works if you have a working hard drive. When your hard drive goes kaput you are up a creek if you have failed to make a set of rescue cd/dvd's beforehand. And again you will be stuck buying a new copy of Windows. Microsoft doesn't care that your drive failed before you got around to burning the discs. That is the first thing you should do when you buy a new computer that does not come with the installation/rescue discs, it is of vital importance. If you no longer have a rescue partition or it no longer is working you have the option of cloning your Windows drive as it is now. I could help you with that as well. Either way you really need to do one of these things unless you do not mind giving more of your cash to Microsoft when your Windows absolutely has to be re-installed and you have no installation/rescue media/discs. Keep me posted on your driver situation, but my advice for now is absolutely get busy getting yourself some installation/rescue discs or clones made.

12. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I have a Vista disc sent by MS, couple years back, guess I was under one year support warranty.

I was instructed to do the System Upgrade option. The other option is the clean install.

Right now I'm doing the System Upgrade install, it seemed to correct the installer problem I had last time.

Could be same issue now,

This time I will create the Recovery disks.

13. bbjester

bbjester

good man, let me know how everything goes and good luck

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice