1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brother printer on strike

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PebbleBeach, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PebbleBeach

PebbleBeach Thread Starter

I had a paper jam in my Brother MFC 5440-CN. Cleared the jam, but printer still wouldn't print. It was balking because it thought that three of the ink cartridges, which were all at least 1/3 full, were empty.

Usually I've been able to get it to print anyway, but this time I gave up, finally, and replaced the cartridges with new ones; also I unplugged and plugged it, made sure the paper tray was just right, and then - ta-da! - got it to print a page.

Foolishly allowing this success to go to my head, I decided to run the printer through a cleaning cycle, after I printed out a test pattern that was a little bit off. At that point, the printer beeped several times in its charming shrill, high-pitched way, and ever since has been displaying "Unable to print - see troubleshooting and routine maintenance chapter in user's guide". Also, it won't shut down unless unplugged.

There wasn't much that was relevant in the guide, other than things I'd already tried. When I plug it back in and try to print something, it makes a ratcheting sound that is not part of its normal printing sounds, so I turned it over and put some oil on a horizontal metal rod that must be part of the paper feeding mechanism. This did nothing except guarantee greasy print-outs if I ever get this thing going again.

I attempted to reinstall the drivers. The Brother Solution Site says to download them and choose "desktop" for their destination, after which you can deploy them from there. Unfortunately, when I download the drivers there's no choice given as to where they will go. If I click on the download, I get a choice to decompress, however once I've done that, the download disappears. I thought it might show up in Programs, but no such luck.

I'm running Windows XP Home. Advice on this will be gratefully appreciated!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    What browser are you using to DL the files?? go HERE to download them. Use internet explorer to do this. and after you clcik DOWNLOAD select SAVE AS and save to desktop

3. PebbleBeach

Thanks metallica - I was using firefox. Also, when I posted I forgot to say I had to download the Brother MFC-5440CN uninstall tool and uninstall old drivers before installing new. This time I was able to get the uninstall tool onto desktop using IE, as you suggested. Ran it and it said uninstall completed. However "Brother MFL ProSuite" is in my Install/Uninstall list. Wondering if that's immaterial, or if it means the uninstall failed?

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Uninstall it from the Programs list....unhook the printer,...reboot. Run the DL I linked you to above and follow the instructions. DONT plug in the printer until the INSTALLER tells you to. I will check back in the morning

5. PebbleBeach

OK - did all of the above, and the installation went fine. Then I got an Installation Diagnostics window that says the printer is ready to print, however when I hit print and get a print window, select the printer and hit print, nothing happened. Then I tried Find Printer and typed the printer name into the field, which produced a window saying Windows couldn't connect to the printer and that I might have entered the name incorrectly.

Happily, though, the printer is no longer scrolling its "unable to print" message, and I can even switch it off without unplugging, so I think we've come a long way. Thanks Metallica very much for the help, and I'll wait to see what you say tomorrow.

6. PebbleBeach

Well, the printer did finally print one single page (again!), and then refused to print any more. Unless anyone has any further ideas on how to fix it, I'll mark this thread Solved tomorrow and start looking for a new printer.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi again Pebble apologies for not getting back to you more recently. I see your last post was Oct 27th. It must have gotten pushed to the bottom of my threads. What did you manage to get it to print?? from a program , a web browser, a document?? It might be time for a new printer but it sound slike a software problem though. What happens when you try to print a page?? Does it show up in the printer's queue??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1111532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice