browse network printer in the directory issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

learn_network

There were 6 network printers here.I wanted to install one network printer in my pc now. I selected "a network printer, or a printer attached to another printer" in add printer wizard and clicked next, then I cliked browse for a printer. It popped up a window and under "shared printers" list, it showed up printer names like "pc1\hplaserjet1", "pc1\hplaserjet1", "pc2\hplaserjet1", "pc2\hplaserjet2", etc. etc. It was not showing up printer names alone.

It is a network printer so I wonder why it is showing pc1\........ like that instead of just printer names. So I'm confused how to proceed further.

Did you give the printers a shared name when you added them? A user friendly name resolves to the computername\device name and unless you have given them a user friendly share name that is how they will show up.

TerryNet

Terry
It is a network printer so I wonder why it is showing pc1\........ like that instead of just printer names.
A logical possibility is that somebody on pc1 connected to the network printer and then shared it.

learn_network

I don't have any control over printer and network here. It was all done by admin. I just wanted to learn now. By the way, how I can see if the printers are shared or not?
And one more doubt,
As it is a network printer, I don't think we need to share these printers as any computer in the network can add the printers. So why people share these printers then? And what will be the effect if these share printers?

TerryNet

Terry
how I can see if the printers are shared or not?
A sure way is to look on one of the computers. :)

I don't think we need to share these printers as any computer in the network can add the printers.
Agreed.

So why people share these printers then?
This is a tech support forum. We don't do psychiatric analysis. :p:D

And what will be the effect if these share printers?
When you search for printers they will show up as "belonging to" the individual computers, and at least in some cases you can use them as if they were connected directly to the computers.

learn_network

I understood. Thanks for all of your replies. But the problem is in some computers when we browse printers, it lists the printers separately, and in some computers it lists with the computer names as if they are connected to them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online