1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser drops out after 2 hours

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Joe Rhodon, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joe Rhodon

Joe Rhodon Thread Starter

I am still on dial up with Virgin (broadband not available in my area) when downloading updates the browser shuts down after 2 hours when downloading has not completed and will not restart downloads when redialing Helpplease

2. hewee

hewee

Get Stay Live 2000

3. Joe Rhodon

Joe Rhodon Thread Starter

Have tried "Stay Alive" with no success. Browser is active and downloading when it drops out . I have downloads of over 2 hours

4. Kitch

Kitch

If I recall rightly Virgin dial up will always disconnect you after 2 hours, regardless
    of whether the connection is active or not, forcing you to reconnect.

Downloads needed careful planning in those days.

5. hewee

hewee

Not much you can do if Virgin dial up will always disconnect you after 2 hours no matter what but get another ISP that "Stay Alive" will work on because they will not drop you.
    I know back when I had Dial-Up it was a pain and I did not ever get any of the MS updates but I had 95 and later 98SE for a short time before getting cable. But I click around the web every now and then to keep things alive when I had bigger downloads.

But maybe a download manager will help you out.
    http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Download_Tools.php

I never used them but there are many and some say you can resume broken download.
    Try "FlashGet"

6. TOGG

TOGG

AOL's UK dialup will stay active for more than two hours (if you're lucky!) as its crashes appear to be accidental, rather than by design due to a fixed time limit.

I have been able to get all the necessary Windows updates without problems (although I have not attempted the ludicrous XP SP3, because I don't need/want it). I am aware of the invasive nature of AOL's software but I don't use it, or its lame IE based browser.

I can get online direct, using Opera, although the connection is via a Carphone Warehouse subsidiary which now seems to be handling AOL's UK dialup operation.

PS. In fact I sometimes leave the AOL software open, but inactive, and when it crashes, my Opera session remains alive, as it is now since AOL closed some time ago!. Obviously, this won't help you with Windows Updates when you have to use IE and an AOL crash will take IE with it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice